Buttercream And Fondant Tiers - Help Please

Decorating By allaboutcakeuk Updated 1 Jun 2016 , 3:52pm by SandraAlicante

allaboutcakeuk Posted 23 May 2016 , 5:29am
post #1 of 10

Hi everyone I have a cake coming up that is a base tier of buttercream swirls but with two tiers of fondant covered tiers on top.  Is this going to work? Should I be worried?! Please can you give any tips on this. I have to transport stacked as two tiers have decoration at the base so what would be the best order of decorating/stacking - crumbcoat base and stack fondant on top? 

Thank you.

9 replies
costumeczar Posted 23 May 2016 , 11:28am
post #2 of 10

That will work. It doesn't matter what's covering the cake as long as it's dowelled correctly so that the upper tiers are supported.

sweetceces Posted 25 May 2016 , 3:06am
post #3 of 10

it should be fine as long as its supported correctly. but can i ask why the differently iced tiers? why not have them all iced the same. aesthetically wouldnt it look more cohesive being all iced in the same icing?

allaboutcakeuk Posted 1 Jun 2016 , 12:46am
post #4 of 10

Hi thank you  it's a swirled rose base tier and plain fondant top tiers with bead edging  the bride sent me the design  I'm with you on them being the same! How would you attach the fondant tier to the buttercream one please I'm worried about sliding during transport   Thank you

allaboutcakeuk Posted 1 Jun 2016 , 12:49am
post #5 of 10

Hi thank you  it's a swirled rose base tier and plain fondant top tiers with bead edging  the bride sent me the design  I'm with you on them being the same! How would you attach the fondant tier to the buttercream one please I'm worried about sliding during transport   Thank you

SandraAlicante Posted 1 Jun 2016 , 5:43am
post #6 of 10

To start with, you need to put dowel supports in the base and all but the very top tier (I'm guessing you know about that?). To avoid moving around you need to be very brave and put a dowel from the top of the entire cake, right down the middle to the base board. I found that this is less scary if you cut a  1 inch cross in the centre of the supporting cake cards (before you put the cakes on them) to make it easier for the dowel to go through.  If you look on youtube there are plenty of videos by professional cake decorators that show how to do it. Good luck!

640Cake Posted 1 Jun 2016 , 12:55pm
post #7 of 10

Quote by @allaboutcakeuk on 12 hours ago

...How would you attach the fondant tier to the buttercream one please I'm worried about sliding during transport   Thank you

Just use buttercream to attach.  Or use some royal icing or melted chocolate for more security, but buttercream should keep them in place just fine.  I don't use a center dowel, but that's just me.

allaboutcakeuk Posted 1 Jun 2016 , 3:45pm
post #8 of 10

Thanks so much so you would stack before transporting? 

allaboutcakeuk Posted 1 Jun 2016 , 3:46pm
post #9 of 10

Thank you unfortunately I've done the upper tiers without holes for centre dowel :-( 

SandraAlicante Posted 1 Jun 2016 , 3:52pm
post #10 of 10

It depends on how far it is to be transported and how, also if you have the ability to stack on site (in private preferably!) and finish. Personally I prefer the cake to be finished, then transported, take a repair kit for any hiccups. Having said that, if stacked and secured properly and boxed, it should arrive in pristine condition. Make sure it is not in the sun in the car!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%