Edible, But Not To Eat, Competition Cake Recipe

Baking By johnson6ofus Updated 23 May 2016 , 3:43am by johnson6ofus

johnson6ofus Posted 22 May 2016 , 2:35am
post #1 of 8

For a cake competition, that requires "edible" cake and photos of assembly to prove it is cake, does anyone know a good recipe for a sturdy cake. NO ONE WILL EAT IT, but it must be "cake" and edible.

I have to believe that people who do this have some basic recipe of sturdy cake to decorate and enter for this type of thing. Help?

7 replies
MBalaska Posted 22 May 2016 , 2:56am
post #2 of 8

a normal pound cake?

maybenot Posted 22 May 2016 , 3:51am
post #3 of 8

I've made this recipe for a carved competition cake, the idea being that it's not moist and has no added fats or sugars.  It worked well for me.  In the pic, the lamp and torso are caved cake using the recipe.  You could eat it, but it would be yucky.

1 (any) Cake Mix
3 TB Meringue powder
3 TB Flour
1 c water
Mix together. Batter will be thick, you will need to
spread the batter before baking.
Bake at 350 degrees till browned.

900_edible-but-not-to-eat_91278757412cac08d52.png

johnson6ofus Posted 23 May 2016 , 1:41am
post #4 of 8

Awesome maybenot! I knew there had to be a recipe for this type of thing. Your genii is incredible. Did you just use an unflavored Wilton buttercream? I guess anything would work for that...or is there some "trick" to the icing too?

rlm0806 Posted 23 May 2016 , 2:23am
post #5 of 8

I agree with @maybenot ‍ I use the same recipe for all of my sculpted competition cakes. To ice it I use a buttercream made with all shortening so it won't go bad. But only ice it with that if you're covering it with fondant, it won't work well with royal icing. Hope this helps!

johnson6ofus Posted 23 May 2016 , 3:20am
post #6 of 8

Great! Thanks. Can't wait to try it and play with it a bit.

maybenot Posted 23 May 2016 , 3:33am
post #7 of 8

Quote by @johnson6ofus on 1 hour ago

Did you just use an unflavored Wilton buttercream? I guess anything would work for that...or is there some "trick" to the icing too?

Thanks!

I do the same as rim--an all shortening and powdered sugar American Buttercream without butter or flavoring.  I just thin it with a bit of water to get the consistency that I prefer.

johnson6ofus Posted 23 May 2016 , 3:43am
post #8 of 8

Sounds logical and makes sense. Will do! Now I can only hope I can sculpt.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%