Hairline Surface Cracks On Mmf

Decorating By whitleyjean Updated 22 May 2016 , 8:52pm by kakeladi

whitleyjean Posted 21 May 2016 , 10:20pm
post #1 of 7

Hobby baker here looking for advice... I have done a few cakes using rolled buttercream fondant & realized life was so much better using mmf. Lol! I can actually roll it out and transfer it onto the cake without tearing! I've only done a couple, but now I'm having issues with hairline cracks on the surface. I used a tiny amount of PS and rubbed a few spots on the top edges. Popped air bubbles and filled with a tiny bit of wet mmf....rubbed with PS when dry. Those spots look good. But these little cracks started to appear more & more. And when I tried to smooth out the edges with the fondant smoother it just made them 10x worse. What causes these cracks?? It is not like treating cracks. These are only on the surface. I had the cake frozen with buttercream crumb coat. Once the fondant was put on, it was kept room temperature. TIA!

6 replies
whitleyjean Posted 21 May 2016 , 10:21pm
post #2 of 7

*It is not like tearing cracks

Pastrybaglady Posted 22 May 2016 , 3:04am
post #3 of 7

It sounds like the fondant is too dry. A little bit of glycerin makes a huge difference in the stretchiness and pliability.

kakeladi Posted 22 May 2016 , 1:46pm
post #4 of 7

My thoughts also ran to the fondant being dry.  I have not used MMF - or at least only once or twice yrs ago so don't know how to fix it.  With 'regular' fondant I'd suggest adding a bit more fat (Crisco) or water.

whitleyjean Posted 22 May 2016 , 7:27pm
post #5 of 7

I wondered that too. I will try glycerine & cornstarch next time.  (I have attatched a pic. Not sure if they will be visible though...)900_hairline-surface-cracks-o_9633315742081f3a661.jpg

cangrilady Posted 22 May 2016 , 8:08pm
post #6 of 7

Hi I found that using corn starch to roll it out dried it up and caused those cracks for me. I found that the best way is to add corn syrup and letting the MMF rest overnight in an airtight bag or container. Crisco works to roll it out but It give it an odd taste. 

kakeladi Posted 22 May 2016 , 8:52pm
post #7 of 7

If you choose to roll it out using Crisco, be sure to make it a *very, very thin* layer.  In fact I was told to smear the Crisco thin, then take a paper towel and lightly wipe it off.  And definitely is you can see any white it is much too much

Quote by @%username% on %date%