Freeze A Crumb Coated Cake

Decorating By carolinecakes Updated 22 May 2016 , 2:04am by carolinecakes

carolinecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carolinecakes Posted 20 May 2016 , 5:03pm
post #1 of 4

Can you freeze a  crumb coated cake? And how would you thaw it? In the fridge or counter?

3 replies
maybenot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maybenot Posted 20 May 2016 , 10:12pm
post #2 of 4

Sure. Wrap it well in several layers of saran wrap & a layer of foil.  I like a slow defrost, so I let it defrost in the fridge & then unwrap it and put it on the counter to come to room temp.  Personally, I like to let it dry then before doing anything else to it.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 21 May 2016 , 5:51pm
post #3 of 4

Sure you can freeze cake at any point.  I prefer to thaw overnight in the frig, then to room temp for a few hours before serving.  Cake tastes best at room temp.  How I wrap it depends on 1) If it's crumb'd 2) or completely iced 3) Or completely decorated 4) how long it will be in the fzr.   If just for a day or up to 1 week I usually only put it into a plastic bag uniced or crumb'd.  If completely iced cover a cookie sheet w/long pieces of plastic wrap in an "+" and place the cake on it - freeze up to 4 hours (ONLY) before removing and wrapping it well with the plastic wrap, then put that into a cake box and the whole thing into a plastic bag.  Wrapped that way it will be good for  3-5 months.  We kept our daughters wedding top tier for over 18 months.  

carolinecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carolinecakes Posted 22 May 2016 , 2:04am
post #4 of 4

Thank you, this is very helpful. Between work and raising a family, I don't always have time to do it all in one day.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%