I Forgot The Tylose Powder In My Gumpaste Recipe. Now What?

Sugar Work By KCakeSide Updated 20 May 2016 , 1:17pm by KCakeSide

KCakeSide Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KCakeSide Posted 20 May 2016 , 2:09am
post #1 of 5

Okay, sometimes I'm dumb.  I forgot to add the tylose powder in my gumpaste recipe.

It was sticky and horrible and sucked up a ton of powdered sugar, but I finally got it into a blob and covered it with celophane. That's when I noticed the carefully measured tylose on the counter. grr.   It's all good. I started over again and have the gumpaste I needed.

My question is - is there something I can do with this stuff or should I just give it up as a bad job and toss it?

I have a big cake coming up and if it's useful I like to use it.

4 replies
bubs1stbirthday Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bubs1stbirthday Posted 20 May 2016 , 3:07am
post #2 of 5

I have never made 'gumpaste' but I have added tylose to fondant plenty of times. Could you not just need the Tylose into the mixture really well?

Or if it is essentially a fondant recipe could you flavour it as desired and use it as fondant?

I guess what you could do with it may depend on your actualy recipe?

Pastrybaglady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pastrybaglady Posted 20 May 2016 , 3:14am
post #3 of 5

I don't use tylose but you can definitely knead cornstarch into it for modeling or cutting letters.

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 20 May 2016 , 11:44am
post #4 of 5

You can just knead the tylose into the un-tylosed gumpaste and it will be fine. :) Store it in the freezer if you don't need to use it any time soon.

KCakeSide Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KCakeSide Posted 20 May 2016 , 1:17pm
post #5 of 5

My only concern is that I had to add about three times the amount of powdered sugar the gumpaste recipe called for in order to get it to blob stage. I'm thinking that adding the entire amount would make it unusable. Then again, I guess I don't have to add it all, do I?

I'll play it by ear and see what I get. I've got enough to divide and add cornstarch to some and tylose to some.

Thanks guys!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%