Decorated Cookies - Silica Gel?

Baking By raylis Updated 19 May 2016 , 3:05am by Pastrybaglady

raylis Posted 19 May 2016 , 12:56am
post #1 of 8

Hello everyone,

I have a major problem of my decorated cookies (covered w rolled fondant and accentuated with buttercream) going soft :(

I put them on the dehydrator to help dry up the fondant and then pipe rosettes.. But after a while the cookies softens...

I am wondering if putting in some food grade silica gel will help crisp them up...?

I have no way of making anymore new cookies and neither am i able to put them back into the oven to crisp them up.. Argh!

Any tips would be greatly appreciated!

7 replies
Pastrybaglady Posted 19 May 2016 , 1:41am
post #2 of 8

How soft are we talking? Fall apart soft or no snap when you bite them? Most people like sugar cookies that yield to the bite.

raylis Posted 19 May 2016 , 2:11am
post #3 of 8

No snap.it is not crunchy. Previously I tried using royal icing and it was worse :( it just crumbled 

how soft is acceptable softness for a decorated cookie? Thank you

Pastrybaglady Posted 19 May 2016 , 2:22am
post #4 of 8

I think as long as it can support itself when you pick it up with one hand it's fine. I used to stress because I couldn't get a snap and then I looked at some recommended recipes and with most of them being soft was a selling point. The only way they're going to keep their snap is if you bake them low and long to a light brown like commercial cookies from a package. Homemade cookies are going to be softer.

raylis Posted 19 May 2016 , 2:55am
post #5 of 8

Phew.. Really? Thanks.. I just had this idea that cookies have to be crunchy.. At least not softttt...

Do you reckon i should put the silica gel in...? Would it be detrimental in any way...? It is a small box that just s the cookies

Pastrybaglady Posted 19 May 2016 , 3:02am
post #6 of 8

The silica packet won't hurt them, but I don't know if it would help them either. Up to you!

Pastrybaglady Posted 19 May 2016 , 3:05am
post #7 of 8

Oh, for the sake of cookie science how about split the batch in half and put the packet with one half and the other without and compare them later!

Pastrybaglady Posted 19 May 2016 , 3:05am
post #8 of 8

Oh, for the sake of cookie science how about split the batch in half and put the packet with one half and the other without and compare them later!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%