Transporting 3 Tiered Cake!!

Decorating By Ecrisitne_10 Updated 18 May 2016 , 5:32pm by kakeladi

Ecrisitne_10 Posted 18 May 2016 , 12:42am
post #1 of 5

Hello! 

So, I have a 3 tiered buttercream wedding cake to deliver on Friday. It's a 6, 8, 10in round cake and the middle will be styrofoam. I'm displaying the cake on a 14in footed cake stand and I'm wondering how to transfer the cake onto the pedestal at the venue. I'd like to deliver it all stacked and ready to go (with proper doweling, etc.) 

last time, I delivered one (same size) right on the stand, but I don't wanna do that again!

4 replies
kakeladi Posted 18 May 2016 , 3:23am
post #2 of 5

I'd put the whole thing on a 14" styrofoam and put a center dowel all the way through into the styro.  Transfering to the cake stand should not be much of a problem - just have an extra large pancake turner/spatula. Pull out that center dowel, then  Slip the spatula between the bottom cake board and styro, move it around about 1/4 of the board so you can get your hands under it  and lift it up.(Your hands should be spread apart about 8-10'" for better balancing.)   OR you can take a cookie sheet w/o rims (anything firm) and slip that under the cake board  

Ecrisitne_10 Posted 18 May 2016 , 4:36pm
post #3 of 5

Quote by @kakeladi on 13 hours ago

I'd put the whole thing on a 14" styrofoam and put a center dowel all the way through into the styro.  Transfering to the cake stand should not be much of a problem - just have an extra large pancake turner/spatula. Pull out that center dowel, then  Slip the spatula between the bottom cake board and styro, move it around about 1/4 of the board so you can get your hands under it  and lift it up.(Your hands should be spread apart about 8-10'" for better balancing.)   OR you can take a cookie sheet w/o rims (anything firm) and slip that under the cake board  

That's good advice! Thank you! I never thought of using styrofoam. Where would you find a 14in styrofoam board? You mean something thinner, not like a cake dummy correct? I was going to use a large piece of thick plywood or something but I like that the dowel could go all the way through styrofoam!

kakeladi Posted 18 May 2016 , 5:28pm
post #4 of 5

Doesn't have to be 14" - I just was thinking  you want something wide/bigger for stability.   You can buy sheets of styro at craft stores like Michaels - maybe even $stores.  It will be thin but cut into right size & stack several to make that bottom 'cake'/rectangle.  I would guess that bottom part is not much more than 9x13.  Then the whole thing can be put on an even bigger piece of wood w/non-skid material under it (under both the 'cake' and the board.)  

kakeladi Posted 18 May 2016 , 5:32pm
post #5 of 5

Sorry I got a bit confused as to the design. I was  picturing a tilted cake someone else asked about.  

No matter the shape just get a big piece of styro.  

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%