Mortified That Customer Found Foreign Object In My Cake

Business By SandraDee73 Updated 21 May 2016 , 7:58pm by costumeczar

SandraDee73 Posted 17 May 2016 , 3:08pm
post #1 of 10

So an old friend of mine reached out to me to do a baby shower cake for his daughter, which is wife was putting together. The day after the party I asked him how the shower went and if the cake was liked. No response. Right away my anxiety goes through the roof. I let another day go by and asked him again, as well as sent a message to his wife. He replied with "can I call you?" So he calls me and when I asked what was going on he tells me the cake was not good. So to sum up the conversation...His wife (who he says he isn't on good terms with) tells and shows him what appears to be a metallic pull tap that you might find on a ketchup or mustard bottle. Half of the cake had already been eaten at this point. He told me he didn't even want to tell me about the incident. Right away I tell him that of course I would want him to tell me if anything was wrong and I wish he had told me the minute it happened. I asked him if it was found in the cake or the icing and he said in the middle where the icing is. (And as an aside she was not happy that I had filling in the middle (buttercream). That is a communication issue I think as she assumed it was just going to be a sheet cake covered with buttercream. I explained to my friend that I torte and fill my sheet cakes.) I must have said how sorry I was and how bad I felt about a dozen times and I said several times that if there's anything I can do in the future to make it up to her (and him) to please let me know. I suggested 50% off a future order.

After getting off the phone I am racking my brain trying to figure out if I had opened ANYTHING that would have such an item while I was baking, decorating, etc. I mean how the heck could I not see this thing if I'm smoothing out my buttercream (maybe 1/4 inch) after setting the first layer?! I should have asked him how big this thing was...

Throughout this whole thing I haven't heard a word from his wife and there was absolutely no mention about the overall cake, decorations or taste. I'm wondering if maybe she's spiteful and wanted to set me up? (Her husband was a little too friendly for my taste messaging me with her on copy. ie. calling me sweety)  I hate to think that way about someone. I'm not sure if there's anything else I should do or if I should just leave it alone now? 

9 replies
Dee_Ragsdale Posted 17 May 2016 , 3:14pm
post #2 of 10

I think you did everything you could to produce a quality cake. It sounds to me that she is spiteful and wanted to get back at her husband through you. Take a deep breath, you did good :)

-K8memphis Posted 17 May 2016 , 7:26pm
post #3 of 10

"I must have said how sorry I was and how bad I felt about a dozen times and I said several times that if there's anything I can do in the future to make it up to her (and him) to please let me know."

just for the record apologize once -- otherwise you make yourself vulnerable -- and if the guy is addressing you that way -- it's getting creepy too -- whether you hate to think that way or not you do need to use your head and react accordingly -- 

the husband mighta put the pop top in there --

yes leave it alone and put them on the 'no cake for you' list --

toughen up a bit kwim

best to you

SandraDee73 Posted 17 May 2016 , 7:34pm
post #4 of 10

Ah. Good point @-K8memphis ‍  Thank you for that! 

costumeczar Posted 20 May 2016 , 12:00pm
post #5 of 10

DId you say that the husband and wife aren't on good terms with each other? That's a little bizarre... I call sabotage by the wife!

SweetNSassyTreats Posted 20 May 2016 , 3:34pm
post #6 of 10

I must give my two cents. What's up with all these guys being FRESH with the cake ladies. I mean my gosh. I have even felt uncomfortable for certain pickups because of soooooo much flirting from these guys. So I say all that to say you never know what some peoples ulterior motives are. The wife could be jealous. The hubby could want the wife jealous. Who knows? I agree but them on the NO CAKE list and also about apologizing once! Screw them! I hate when people try to make you feel less of a baker! 

remnant3333 Posted 20 May 2016 , 3:56pm
post #7 of 10

I am sure if something like that was in the frosting, you would have seen it. Sounds kind of fishy to me. I wouldn't want anything else to do with the man or his wife. A tab for ketchup or mustard sounds like they made the whole story up. Don't let it bother you. Sounds like the husband and wife are having problems and the wife is jealous for no reason. As others said put them on the "no cake list". 

SandraDee73 Posted 20 May 2016 , 4:04pm
post #8 of 10

@costumeczar ‍ Yes, they aren't on good terms. He told me that he was going to move out but then the (teenage) daughter got pregnant so he's trying to help out. (Why he needed to share this information is beyond me. He knows I'm happily married.)
Sometimes there are moments in my life where I think "this would make great reality tv".
Definitely putting them on the "no cake list" ...and in the future apologizing once. 

MimiFix Posted 21 May 2016 , 12:30am
post #9 of 10

Quote by @SandraDee73 on 7 hours ago

(Why he needed to share this information is beyond me. He knows I'm happily married.)

He's fishing. Men like that don't care if you're married.

costumeczar Posted 21 May 2016 , 7:58pm
post #10 of 10

Quote by @MimiFix on 19 hours ago

Quote by @SandraDee73 on 7 hours ago

(Why he needed to share this information is beyond me. He knows I'm happily married.)

He's fishing. Men like that don't care if you're married.

Sometimes they like it if you're married because they figure you'll be less likely to want a commitment if he can get you to cheat on your husband! Don't respond to this guy anymore, he's looking for trouble. Or let your husband answer him if he emails you again :)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%