Emergency Wedding Cakes!!!!!!!!!!

Business By taartenmaker Updated 18 May 2016 , 2:59pm by remnant3333

taartenmaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
taartenmaker Posted 17 May 2016 , 12:46am
post #1 of 8

hello friends

I'm writing this post just because i'm new to emergency wedding cakes. i never happened to me before untill last week. the friend of my sister got married this week and her caterer said they would provide the cake, she even sented them pics of the kind of cake she wanted but two days before the wedding she found out that the only thing the caterers were providing was the desert table and not the cake! so i got asked to make a wedding cake two days before the wedding!!! at first i wanted to say no but my sister said her friend was really desperate and i figured since we were invited to the wedding it would be a kind thing to do. I explained to her that it couldn't be a very big cake with a lot of details, i said it would be a simple cake and that she should't expect to much of it. she said she didn't mind and that she just wanted to have the cake cutting moment and picture. It didn't needed to feed all the guest because there was plenty of food. I went into the kitchen and did what i could. i figured to use pillars as this would make the cake stand taller. it worked out and the bride was so happy. the reason I'm writing this post is because i wondered if anybody else ever had this experience? i thaught it was kind of crazy to even think of making a wedding cake in such a hurry? i explained to her that it was a one time thing and honestly i was a bit worried cause i don't like to hurry but it turned out oke!

excuse me that the pic is such bad qualitiy but I forgot my camera.

[postimage id="3891" thumb="900"]

7 replies
LelekBolek Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LelekBolek Posted 17 May 2016 , 10:12am
post #2 of 8

That is so weird the caterer said they would do cake, and then produced none! Did they charge for the cake?

It was very nice of you to agree to do this, and it turned out fine, she is lucky you found the time to get it done! is it an 8" 7" and 6"? Good idea to use pillars and tall topper to visually maximize the size!

There are many problems one can run into I guess, when the cake is pretty much an emergency cat in the bag. But as long as everyone was happy, and you were compensated/complimented  - then I say all is well.  

I only had a "I'll take whatever you have in the freezer" kind of emergency order. When the lady wanted a cake with bells-whistles-glitter, but then thought my price was crazy, and later returned (probably discovered I wasn't crazy after all) and asked if there is ANYTHING I could give her, even if it was frozen. There was no time to make a whole new cake decorated as she wanted it originally, but I did have a pretty one, on hand.

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 17 May 2016 , 12:05pm
post #3 of 8

I wouldn't do it, not that it couldn't be done. Just because you can never really know the circumstances of why the wedding cake fell through, so if you agree to do it you could be putting your foot into a big pile of poo without knowing it's coming. In your case you knew the bride and that's one thing, but if I ever got an emergency call I'd pass unless it also came with cash up front and it was from a planner or someone I knew REALLY well.

Apti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Apti Posted 17 May 2016 , 12:15pm
post #4 of 8

Nice save.

Pastrybaglady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pastrybaglady Posted 17 May 2016 , 4:28pm
post #5 of 8

Two days? Pfft, they do it on TV all the time! *Note heavy sarcasm* You were very generous to do it and you did a nice job. If it were me I would say I would a simple small cake for cutting and maybe a few dozen cupcakes and if that wasn't enough oh well...

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 17 May 2016 , 5:05pm
post #6 of 8

How nice of you to step in and produce such a nice cake.  Sure, it probably wan't what was 1st picked out but it saved the day.  

Costumczar I never think like that.  I take what someone said at face value (and YES I have been scammed once - not w/caking)

If I didn't have anything else that would prevent me from actually doing the work (like 5 other orders) then, sure I'd do it.  

gfbaby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gfbaby Posted 18 May 2016 , 2:58pm
post #7 of 8

Impressive at such short notice and I'm sure there's a young couple somewhere who will always be hugely grateful to you for this generous gesture. Lucky you had time and well done!!! 

I only got asked once to produce an emergency wedding cake. When my niece (and goddaughter) announced she was getting married, I naturally assumed that I would be making her an amazing creation of a cake. But no. I was curtly informed that my sister (no love lost there-believe me) had found someone else to do the honours. I was gutted but accepted the snub and just moved on. Just a few days before the wedding, I had a desperate call from my niece to say there was no cake. I never found out why not, but would I PLEASE help... My gut instinct was to tell her to go *°¥«[°^ but I knew it was her mums not HER fault so instead I took the higher ground and did my best. It wasn't great and I'm not proud of it but it was ok and tasted divine. 

If I had nothing else on - I'd be prepared to do emergencies, but surely I'd rather not. For me, the enjoyment is the gentle preparation not the manic final rush. 

remnant3333 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
remnant3333 Posted 18 May 2016 , 2:59pm
post #8 of 8

You did a fantastic job for an emergency job!! Well done!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%