Solid Metallic Silver Wedding Cake

Decorating By daniellesteere Updated 18 May 2016 , 12:34am by maybenot

daniellesteere Posted 16 May 2016 , 7:15pm
post #1 of 5

Hello, i have been asked to make a life size replica of the Stanley Cup for a wedding cake, and the entire cake has to be silver, im talking roughly 3 foot tall cake, all silver lol.

I was going to paint it and was unsure how much dust that would take, but i was advised to get Americolor Silver shimmer airbrush and spray a grey fondant. Has anyone used this? Does it give you a true silver finish?

Or any other suggestions? i have never done a silver cake, i figure that is alot of cake to paint by hand and the amount of dust it would take would be insane, but i have never airbrushed before, so before i invest the money i want to make sure it will work!900_solid-metallic-silver-wed_954084573a1c5a0d252.jpg

4 replies
maybenot Posted 16 May 2016 , 11:02pm
post #2 of 5

Americolor silver airbrush over grey fondant is the best way to go.  It will definitely work and the end result will be completely edible. 

I have to warn you though, it won't look like polished metal. In the US, products that produce reflective, high shine surfaces [highlighter dusts/paints] ARE NOT EDIBLE, as they contain real metals that are not FDA approved for human consumption.  They are not meant to be used directly on food and are only for decorations that will definitely be removed and not eaten. 

If you are in the US, you'll find foreign made products [labels use E numbers for ingredients] that are described as edible.  While they may be considered edible elsewhere in the world, use of them here in the US constitutes adulteration of food.

daniellesteere Posted 17 May 2016 , 12:48pm
post #3 of 5

Ok, thank you!, the base of the cake wont be eaten but the top will and it needs to all be uniform, so i will definitely use the Americolor silver over fondant. 

sweettreat101 Posted 17 May 2016 , 9:15pm
post #4 of 5

The UK has higher food safety standards than the US. I order cake supplies from this cake supply store in the UK. She is very helpful with fast shipping. Yes there are some edible glitters that are considered non toxic and should not be used to cover cakes they are fine for decorations that are not ingested. She has two colors light silver or dark silver that can be painted on or used in an air brush. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Rainbow-Dust-Metallic-Edible-Food-Paint-Many-Colours-25ml-Cake-Craft-Decorating-/321218233377

maybenot Posted 18 May 2016 , 12:34am
post #5 of 5

Quote by @sweettreat101 on 3 hours ago

The UK has higher food safety standards than the US. I order cake supplies from this cake supply store in the UK. She is very helpful with fast shipping. Yes there are some edible glitters that are considered non toxic and should not be used to cover cakes they are fine for decorations that are not ingested. She has two colors light silver or dark silver that can be painted on or used in an air brush. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Rainbow-Dust-Metallic-Edible-Food-Paint-Many-Colours-25ml-Cake-Craft-Decorating-/321218233377

The UK has "different" food standards, but necessarily "higher". 

The silvers that you are referring to are NOT approved for use in the US because they contain real metal:  E174/silver.  The FDA has never approved the use of real metals on/in food, so Rainbow Dusts metallics are NOT considered edible in the US.  The use of these products should be limited in the way that highlighter dusts are--on decorations that will be removed and not eaten.  Putting them directly on food is, per the FDA, a form of adulteration that can be subject to an enforcement action by the FDA.

I've spoken directly to Rainbow Dusts and they do not export directly to the US because their products contain food additives that are banned here, including silver, gold, ponceau, brilliant black, and brown HT, among others.  They are working on an FDA compliant line, but it is not currently available. The situation is similar for Sugarflair colors.

The other side of the coin is that some Americolor products contain additives that are not approved in the UK, so over there, decorators should not be using those on consumables, either.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%