Fondant Bulging Problem

Decorating By Bakerlady2 Updated 18 May 2016 , 12:58am by Bakerlady2

Bakerlady2 Posted 16 May 2016 , 2:36am
post #1 of 16

I'm new to covering cakes with fondant and I always have this problem. I would ice a cake with buttercream and chill it over night. Then next day I would cover it with fondant and get nice straight sides ...then I would stack the cakes but..... the next day each tier would have a bulge around the bottom of it as if the fondant stretched and now it was too long for the sides. I can't fix it at this point because the fondant had harden. what is causing this? I don't think it is the buttercream sliding down because the bulges just have air under them. HELP

15 replies
yjflores1 Posted 16 May 2016 , 6:28am
post #2 of 16 you have support under each tier maybe it's too heavy so it pushes down on the buttercream making the fondant look like that. Or maybe you are putting too much buttercream underneath the fondant . ??  another thing when you place the fondant on top of your cake do you take out all the air bubbles with a fondant smoother or a thin needle ? These are the few things I can think of ! :/

costumeczar Posted 16 May 2016 , 6:26pm
post #3 of 16

Are you leaving the cake out at room temp after covering it?

Bakerlady2 Posted 16 May 2016 , 8:01pm
post #4 of 16

yes , i'm doing all those things. I've been decorating cakes for 30 years ...I just can't to seem to master covering a cake with fondant.  I'll try putting less buttercream under it and see if that helps. I put good support under each tier and always have. what steps do you guys/gals take when your covering a cake with fondant? Do you leave the fondant 1/8 " or less short at the bottom so it doesn't quite touch the tier below it?  Thank you for all the suggestions.

costumeczar Posted 17 May 2016 , 12:30am
post #5 of 16

Try covering it at room temperature. I decorate all my cakes at room temp because it takes out the element of the cake shifting as it warms up. It's probably flattening it out a little as it warms up, so you're getting the fondant that fit the cake suddenly seeming too long on the sides and ending up being a little too long for the sides of the cake.

Nancylou Posted 17 May 2016 , 12:48am
post #6 of 16

Maybe if you spray a little water or brush on some jam mixed with water to make sure the fondant has something to stick to. 

kakeladi Posted 17 May 2016 , 1:43pm
post #7 of 16

I was taught that a cake needed to be covered w/fondant as soon as possible after being iced w/b'cream. The b'cream needs to be fresh - not 'set up'.  Nancylou is on the right track w/her suggestion but it would not be necessary when you cover immediately after applying w/b'cream - either use the jam OR b'cream then apply the fondant.   I really think your problem is chilling the cake and not getting it sticky.  

Bakerlady2 Posted 17 May 2016 , 7:14pm
post #8 of 16

I do brush the cake with water and corn syrup. before I cover with fondant. I read on the forums you should let your cakes settle overnight, so that is what I do. I guess I'll just have to keep practicing... and practicing ...and practicing, lol

kakeladi Posted 17 May 2016 , 11:16pm
post #9 of 16

I know there is a ton of talk about a cake needing to settle but in the 30+ yrs of decorating I almost never did that.  Occasionally in the bakery I would fill and crumb coat a cake & let it sit while working on others and sometimes that meant overnight but very seldom.  I had very little problems w/blowouts etc.  Yes, very occasionally but seldom.

Bakerlady2 Posted 17 May 2016 , 11:20pm
post #10 of 16

umm, ok, I'll keep trying til it comes out. Thank you..

Jinkies Posted 17 May 2016 , 11:52pm
post #11 of 16

Oh, we should be able to figure this out.  What kind of buttercream are you using? crusting or non-crusting ABC or SMBC/IMBC?

Bakerlady2 Posted 17 May 2016 , 11:56pm
post #12 of 16

Crusting ABC

Jinkies Posted 18 May 2016 , 12:06am
post #13 of 16

And is your fondant sort of pooled at the bottom of the cake?  Or, is there an air pocket around the middle of the cake?  Or. air pockets kinda all over?

Jinkies Posted 18 May 2016 , 12:28am
post #14 of 16

Just re-read your op.

It's probably one of two things.

You're maybe not getting the cake damp around the bottom edge so the fondant can attach properly and causing an air pocket.  Make sure it is adhered well with your smoother around the bottom too.

Try using a non-crusting buttercream and see if you have the same issue.  You don't need to dampen the cake with non-crusting.  If you have the same issue, you can rule that out.

Or,  your fondant may be too thick and the weight of the fondant itself is pulling it down (stretching it).  You can try rolling it thinner and chill your cakes after you cover them with fondant. That way the fondant won't have  a chance to stretch before it sets up.  I always chill my fondant cakes and then stack them.  

Bakerlady2 Posted 18 May 2016 , 12:50am
post #15 of 16

I posted a picture of it in the gallery, put I don't know if it worked. it s the emerald green wedding cake with white roses and baby's breath.  If you look at the bottom of the middle tier you can see the damage and on the top tier on the right side of the picture you can see a bulge. I tried posting it in this thread but I couldn't.

Bakerlady2 Posted 18 May 2016 , 12:58am
post #16 of 16

I would say its pooled around the bottom of the cake.

Quote by @%username% on %date%