Structure Help

Baking By stacehat Updated 17 May 2016 , 4:46pm by kakeladi

stacehat Posted 15 May 2016 , 11:45pm
post #1 of 4

I want to make a cake with a similar structure to this. How would you support the top cakes so they didn't slide off the board?900_structure-help_72492157390a157b7e3.jpg

3 replies
cakingandbaking Posted 16 May 2016 , 10:11pm
post #2 of 4

I would guess they used a dowel through the center of the cake to keep everything together and chilled the cake very well before transporting it.

kakeladi Posted 17 May 2016 , 4:46pm
post #3 of 4

Rather than one center dowel I would use several (3?) kabob sticks through the whole thing. (Or add a couple in addition w/a dowel)  Make the base not cake but styrofoam (covered in fondant) and the all doweling goes all the way through into the styro.  If you're using that lightning bolt I'd make it double w/a dowel/kabob stick sandwiched between to help hold up that end of the hat cake. (Which I think they did if you look closely at the top part of the bold.)   

The cake is attached to a same sized board w/a generous dollop of b'cream, melted chocolate, or royal icing. 

kakeladi Posted 17 May 2016 , 4:46pm
post #4 of 4

Rather than one center dowel I would use several (3?) kabob sticks through the whole thing. (Or add a couple in addition w/a dowel)  Make the base not cake but styrofoam (covered in fondant) and the all doweling goes all the way through into the styro.  If you're using that lightning bolt I'd make it double w/a dowel/kabob stick sandwiched between to help hold up that end of the hat cake. (Which I think they did if you look closely at the top part of the bold.)   

The cake is attached to a same sized board w/a generous dollop of b'cream, melted chocolate, or royal icing. 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%