Decorating Query

Decorating By Gina-Molyneux Updated 16 May 2016 , 1:18am by -K8memphis

Gina-Molyneux Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Gina-Molyneux Posted 15 May 2016 , 6:57pm
post #1 of 6

[postimage id="3868" thumb="900"]Can anyone tell me what was used to create the black square pattern on the middle tier of this cake, I have been looking everywhere for a stencil/cutter/lace mat with a similar design?

5 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 15 May 2016 , 8:13pm
post #2 of 6

idk -- i think i might try and edible marker then use ribbon for the squares but ni really don't know --

what i do know is the web page this is from 

http://www.jenlacake.com/#!wedding/skpdq

and it says this at the bottom of the page although it's always been my understanding that anyone can re-create a design but  who knows nowadays -- as far as i know reproducing a cake design is not a copyright infringement  but?

© 2016 JENLA Cake. All images and content are property of JENLA Cake and may not be used or reproduced without explicit consent.

-K8memphis Posted 15 May 2016 , 8:41pm
post #3 of 6

i mean if you don't want it copied don't plaster it on the world side web kwim -- designer dresses are copied all the time everything is copied legally -- except property of another like the face of garfield or mickey mouse but 'designs' i don't think so

810whitechoc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
810whitechoc Posted 15 May 2016 , 11:38pm
post #4 of 6

The fine detail is so precise and replicated perfectly that I'm voting for a lace mat, however I have never seen that particular design anywhere.  Maybe it's not an edible lace mat but some kind of craft mat that they have made edible lace in?  Have you thought about contacting the decorator and asking her where she got it from?

If that doesn't work I think you need to talk to your bride.  The design is so perfect that any minor flaws would show up a mile away.  Plan B could be using another lace mat?

There is every combination of black and gold with flowers cake out there you can imagine. The cake design is beautiful, and beautifully made but I don't believe there is anything unique about it that would pass copyright laws.  If there is any copyright attached to the design of the stencil or mat that is used, it  would belong to the manufacturers I guess.  Not a lawyer only using a bit of common sense.

Jinkies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jinkies Posted 16 May 2016 , 12:50am
post #5 of 6

@-K8memphis ‍ I think that means you can't use the pic as your own.  You know how some people use the pic of others on their websites?  There are no copyrights on a cake design.  

-K8memphis Posted 16 May 2016 , 1:18am
post #6 of 6

yes of course you are right, jinkies--

what does 'reproduce the content' mean i wonder

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%