Need Help! Vanilla And White Cake Hunt!

Baking By SoniaMT Updated 16 May 2016 , 2:18am by Singerssoul

SoniaMT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SoniaMT Posted 14 May 2016 , 11:56pm
post #1 of 7

I am yet to find a good vanilla Cake and white cake recipe from scratch! I have a great chocolate cake i always use as my base for my cakes but i always am trying different recipes for my vanilla cakes and white cakes. I still haven't found a good one to stick with for my base before infusing different flavors. PLEASE im tired of trying so many recipes and not being satisfied! Most of them are tooo dry or way to dense. I know there are many recipes out there that use box cake mixes, i prefer scratch baking. However, i might just have to try the box cakes since i haven't had any success. 

6 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 15 May 2016 , 12:10am
post #2 of 7

you've got mail -- however the sylvia cake does not go in & out the fridge well -- it's stiffens a bit in the fridge and doesnt' relax back at room temp -- i find most cakes made with butter don't and this is definitely one of them --

so those are all three tried & true for moi -- best baking to you

carolinecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carolinecakes Posted 15 May 2016 , 4:27pm
post #3 of 7

Hi K8memphis do you mind sharing those recipes, also I am looking for a lemon cake recipe that can go in an out of the fridge. Can any of those recipes be adapted to lemon. Any help really appreciated.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 15 May 2016 , 4:58pm
post #4 of 7

oh for sure -- you've got mail 

karmen.wong Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karmen.wong Posted 15 May 2016 , 10:29pm
post #5 of 7

I have the same problems!

I am looking for a scratch vanilla cake made with oil. 

If anyone has one I would love to try it out!

Thanks!

sayhellojana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sayhellojana Posted 16 May 2016 , 1:53am
post #6 of 7

Most white cake recipes I see are very similar in the ratio of fats/sugars, so you have to make sure you're doing your due diligence assembling it, too. I used to skip over the room-temperature ingredients thing and use cold eggs and milk - but I've noticed a big difference in the texture of the cake so now I always bring my ingredients to room temp. It makes the cake much softer and lighter. 

Serious_Cake's yellow cake recipe uses shortening and is a very reliable, moist and dense scratch cake recipe. It can be flavored just about any way you'd like and will stay moist for several days. 

I recently tried this cake recipe - http://goodiegodmother.com/white-cake-recipe-from-scratch/ - and I think the results are great. It's a cake made using the muffin method, which I thought was strange, but it worked great and resulted in a very light and fluffy cake. I've made vanilla, coconut, and almond versions. 

This yellow buttercake is a happy medium of the two above. It's moist and soft, not as dense as the Serious_Cake's recipe and not as light as the goodie godmother recipe. http://www.realsimple.com/food-recipes/browse-all-recipes/yellow-cake-vanilla-frosting

I hope you find something that works for you! Nothing more satisfying than baking an amazingly good cake from scratch. 

Singerssoul Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Singerssoul Posted 16 May 2016 , 2:18am
post #7 of 7

I hear the cake boss has an excellent scratch oil vanilla cake recipe.  Oil cakes like the fridge, so in and out with them should not affect it.  I have a go to butter, but have not tried his recipe yet.  But if he is selling it, it might have some merit to it. 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%