Some people can't use box mixes due to health issues. We can't use them due to high sodium levels and phosphates (preservative). My husband is on dialysis but loves WASC so this recipe is a win-win.
WASC CAKE RECIPE (SCRATCH)
- 3 Large eggs
- 2 tsp. (8g) vanilla extract
- 1 tsp. (4g) almond extract
- 1/3 c (73g) milk
- 1 cup (242g) sour cream
- 2 1/2 c (285g) cake flour
- 1 1/2 c (300g) granulated sugar
- 2 1/2 teaspoons (12g) baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon (3g) salt
- 1 1/2 sticks (12 T) (170g) unsalted butter, slightly softened (Do not soften in microwave).
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Grease and flour two 8 x 2 inch pans *I USE THE REVERSE CREAMING METHOD FOR THIS RECIPE
- In a small bowl, combine eggs, vanilla, almond extract, milk, & sour cream. Whisk until blended & set aside.
- Mix the dry ingredients (cake flour, granulated sugar, baking powder, and salt) in the mixer for 30 seconds so the baking powder and salt will be well incorporated into the flour and sugar.
- Slowly add the pieces of butter a few at a time while the mixer is on medium speed. Beat for approximately 1 minute or until the dry ingredients are crumbly and moistened by the butter. Scrape the sides and bottom of bowl.
- Gradually add approx. 1/2 of the egg mixture beating at medium speed for 1½ minutes -- the batter will be thick and fluffy. Scrape bottom and sides of bowl. Add the remaining egg mixture in 2 pourings, scraping the bowl and beating for 20 seconds after each addition. It is now ready to pour into pans.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Let the cake cool in the pans 10 minutes then turn out. Makes
Thanks for sharing, I bake from scratch also. I will have to give this a try soon.
I feel like an idiot, but what does WASC stand for?
You shouldn't, before I joined CC, I didn't either.
It means White Almond Sour Cream Cake. Kakeladi is famous for inventing the doctored cake mix recipe. Now we gave a from scratch recipe courtesy gallopinggranny. Everyday we are learning something new.
Dar917...It's not a stupid question at all. I had to look it up. It's "white almond siur cream. Happy baking.
There are at least 2 other WASC scratch recipes that I've seen on CC in the recipe section, cannot remember the names of the creators but you can search it if your so inclined.
I'll have to search for them. One I saw said scratch but it had 2 cake mixes in the recipe. I thought that was a bit funny.
Here is another one by Angiefastic in CC Recipes
This is a scratch recipe to which I added sour cream to create my WASC. I tried the recipe once before without sour cream and it was dry so this time I added sour cream and did the reverse cream method. The cake and first 12 cupcakes were a little dense but very tasty. The folks at the party loved it and my friend asked how it was different from my usual. I had a little batter left over so I made one cupcake after I pulled out the first batch. This one was lighter and fluffier. I think maybe because I took it out a little sooner than the first batch. If not maybe because the batter set for awhile.
- 2 sticks unsalted butter
- 2 cups sugar
- 3 cups sifted Swans Down Cake Flour
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup milk (whole or low fat)
- 1 cup (8oz) sour cream
- 3 tsps baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp almond extract
- Preheat oven to 350 F. Butter and lightly flour 3 – 9 inch pans. Sift flour and then lightly sppon 3 cups into a measuring cup.
Put all dry ingredients in bowl and mix for about 1 minute. Add butter a little bit of the milk and mix until mix thoroughly. Add remaining liquid ingredients and mix for several minutes.
Pour into pans and bake for 20-25 minutes or until tester inserted into cake comes out clean. Cool in pan 10 minutes. Remove from pans and finish cooling on racks.
Thanks you guys!