Fondant- Help With Colors?

Decorating By KRice95 Updated 13 May 2016 , 7:47pm by rollingstone

KRice95 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KRice95 Posted 13 May 2016 , 3:18pm
post #1 of 4

Hi everyone!

I am making my sister-in-law a graduation cake on June 4th, and this is what she is wanting....

[postimage id="3847" thumb="900"]

With that being said, I am in need of help to achieve that "goldish" color on the fondant.... does anyone have any suggestions as to what I can mix color-wise in order to achieve this color? I have seen the paintable gold shimmer and gold colored gel for fondant, but I am not wanting that.. just looking to be able to mix colored fondants together to achieve this look. I was thinking maybe yellow and a bit of brown fondant? Help??? Any suggestions are GREATLY appreciated in advance--- thank you!!!

3 replies
cakingandbaking Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakingandbaking Posted 13 May 2016 , 6:22pm
post #2 of 4

The yellow and brown may work as long as you use only the tiniest amount of brown. Test it out using varying amounts of both colors (maybe even throw in some white if needed) and see how it goes! Also, I'm not sure if I'm reading what you wrote correctly, but are you not wanting to buy gold gel color that you would then mix into white fondant? Because I think that would be the easiest way to get a nice gold color.

joeyww12000 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
joeyww12000 Posted 13 May 2016 , 7:36pm
post #3 of 4

I just bought some Americolor gel gold the other day and it is almost exactly that color. 

rollingstone Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rollingstone Posted 13 May 2016 , 7:47pm
post #4 of 4

I agree! Americolor gel gold would be perfect. Of course the cake police will post in just a moment telling you how it is unsafe to use gold, but I have for years. Haven't made anyone sick yet!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%