Baking Supple Store

Business By Bevyuro Updated 13 May 2016 , 11:03pm by Bevyuro

Bevyuro Posted 13 May 2016 , 3:12pm
post #1 of 4

I am considering opening a baking supply shop in my area. I want to have a large inventory. Where would I go to fill my store? I am looking in the Mid South area.

3 replies
MimiFix Posted 13 May 2016 , 9:55pm
post #2 of 4

It's important that you source supplies cheaper than your potential customers. Call the manufacturers of the products you want to sell - Wilton, Ateco, Novacart, etc. - and ask which distributors carry their products, then call for price lists. Contact the Retail Bakers Association for help. 

I know this seems like a great idea, but retailing cake/baking supplies to create a profitable business is getting harder. Look first at your competition - at the retail stores and online businesses. Then think about what would make your shop different. Can you offer classes cheaper than Wilton? Can you encourage sales by selling baked goods made using items in your inventory? Just think about what you can do to make your store more appealing than the competition. Don't forget to write a business plan! Good luck. 

-K8memphis Posted 13 May 2016 , 10:20pm
post #3 of 4

midsouth is a large area -- but here in memphis we just had a cake supply store pull out in the past couple years -- sweetwise, home based in nashville and they had a primo location out east -- but the tried & true old standby cake store mary carter still is going strong in fact they got a new location but they are super centrally located -- so if it's in memphis you might want to rethink that -- and you for sure need a professional marketing analysis so you can determine in advance if there's enough business to support you --

best to you

Bevyuro Posted 13 May 2016 , 11:03pm
post #4 of 4

Thanks so much. I really appreciate the feedback...very helpful!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%