Need Help With Fresh Strawberry Cake.

Baking By ForeverAfterCakes Updated 13 May 2016 , 5:19pm by Jeff_Arnett

ForeverAfterCakes Posted 13 May 2016 , 1:26am
post #1 of 5

I have such trouble with fresh strawberry cake,  Sometimes they turn out fine, sometimes they fall.  I am using a doctored Duncan Heinz recipe.

4 eggs

1 1/2 cups milk

1/3 cup oil

Berry extract or 2 Tbs Nestle's Quick

1 cup fresh strawberry puree

Cake mix

1 box pudding

1 cup flour

1/2 cup sugar (Cut back from normal recipe)

2 tsp baking powder (doubled from normal recipe)

4 replies
Pastrybaglady Posted 13 May 2016 , 1:59am
post #2 of 5

I just made a strawberry cake all from scratch today. Comparing yours to mine, yours has a more heavy ingredients. The main differences: mine has butter instead of oil, whites only, no pudding and my cup of strawberry puree is cooked down to a half cup. Mine did not rise a whole lot, but it was sturdy and baked fairly evenly so it had a flat top.

ForeverAfterCakes Posted 13 May 2016 , 3:37am
post #3 of 5

Thanks!  I will try more adjustments.

bubs1stbirthday Posted 13 May 2016 , 1:41pm
post #4 of 5

When I make my strawberry cakes I use my favourite vanilla cake recipe then add to that strawberries that have been cooked down to almost a thick syrup/paste on the stove rather than fresh strawberry puree.

Jeff_Arnett Posted 13 May 2016 , 5:19pm
post #5 of 5

When I make my strawberry cake, I use my scratch buttermilk vanilla cake (make three 8 inch layers), but before making it, I microwave 10 ounces of frozen, whole strawberries for 5 minutes, then puree them with an immersion blender, then microwave them for 2-3 minute intervals until they are reduced to a thick paste about the consistency of sour cream.  Let the puree cool before blending into the batter.  Produces an excellent cake. I sometime add a couple drops of red gel color just to keep the cakes a bright pink-red color.

Quote by @%username% on %date%