How To Go From Regular Job To Baking Full Time

Business By rr2sweet Updated 14 May 2016 , 1:56am by karmen.wong

rr2sweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rr2sweet Posted 12 May 2016 , 10:46pm
post #1 of 3

Hi! I currently work 32-40 hours a week at my job and then do baking on my days off, but would really love to take the leap and do baking full time. Just wondering when or how you were all able to decide to quit your job and just do baking? Or steps and advice for doing it? Is it worth it? Any input is appreciated:) TIA

2 replies
costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 13 May 2016 , 1:47am
post #2 of 3

It depends on how much you intend to work per week, how much you need to make income-wise, what your product line is going to be, and what your market is like. So you'll need to do a thorough business plan, because right now the market for custom cakes is pretty saturated everywhere, and if anyone tells you differently it's irresponsible of them. You'll need to look at your area to see if it's going to be worth it for you specifically, because everyone has different goals and income needs. 

karmen.wong Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karmen.wong Posted 14 May 2016 , 1:56am
post #3 of 3

I left my full time job to open up a bakery from scratch. 

Its been a just under a year since the project started, and ive been open for about 5 months. if you have the staying power then its great. I do about 4 orders a month - hahah! at the moment....obviously this is not realistic. I do a lot of consultation though. And am currently booking into 2017. 

So for me. its worth it. 

But Can you live off of a couple hundred dollars a month untill everything gets going?

LOL! good luck!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%