Tylose And Mmf

Decorating By Ziebells Updated 14 May 2016 , 2:35am by cakingandbaking

Ziebells Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ziebells Posted 12 May 2016 , 7:27am
post #1 of 9

Hi everyone 

I am about to try and make some cake toppers and use some Tylose with Mmf if I don't want them to completely dry out for like letters and such, how should I store them? 

Can I do that I do I have to use them straight away 

thanks 

8 replies
cakingandbaking Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakingandbaking Posted 13 May 2016 , 6:38pm
post #2 of 9

If you're making toppers that say "Happy Birthday" or whatever, I'm guessing you don't expect them to be eaten? Adding the Tylose is not going to change the flavor but could give the toppers an unpleasant hardness so that you wouldn't want to eat them (depending on how much Tylose you add), so that's something to keep in mind - do you want people to actually eat the toppers? I would store MMF-Tylose toppers in an airtight container as well and would make them about 3-4 days in advance.

Ziebells Posted 13 May 2016 , 8:56pm
post #3 of 9

Thanks caking and baking 

there is one topper that I know won't get eaten but the flat toppers for example of a Sydney character I'd assume they would just cut through and eat I suppose, or yes letters on the cake. 

What os the done thing do most people get told to take that off before serving? 

Ziebells Posted 13 May 2016 , 8:58pm
post #4 of 9

If I only add a little bit will they still be able to eat it 

cakingandbaking Posted 13 May 2016 , 10:31pm
post #5 of 9

"there is one topper that I know won't get eaten but the flat toppers for example of a Sydney character I'd assume they would just cut through and eat I suppose, or yes letters on the cake." Yes, if it's a topper that's placed directly on the cake, people will probably eat it. Some people may peel it off before eating. 

"What os the done thing do most people get told to take that off before serving?" I'm not sure what you mean by this, but I think you're asking, do most cake decorators advise that you remove a fondant topper before eating? As long as it's just fondant, I would guess probably not? I mean I would just leave it up to the judgment of the customer - do they like fondant or not, and if not, they'll take it off on their own. 

"If I only add a little bit will they still be able to eat it?" I'm assuming you mean Tylose - yes, if you add Tylose, they can still eat it, but since it hardens the fondant, it may not be very pleasant to eat. It depends on how much you add. 

Ziebells Posted 14 May 2016 , 12:03am
post #6 of 9

Thanks cake and baking yes you got what I was trying to say just right. 

If your making letters and designs that sit flat on cakes do you add Tylose to your Mmf fondant so far I haven't been. 

I have to make baby legs for one of the cakes and assumed the Tylose would make it easy to mould the shape, 

thanks for taking the time to answer my questions I am self taught so every bit of advice helps 

cakingandbaking Posted 14 May 2016 , 12:11am
post #7 of 9

I never add Tylose to my fondant unless I want the thing I'm making to be stiff. For the baby legs, you probably would want to add it so the fondant would keep its shape well.

No problem, this forum has been so helpful to me (I'm self-taught as well), so just passing it on smile.png

Ziebells Posted 14 May 2016 , 2:24am
post #8 of 9

Awesome, will just stick to want I'm doing and only add to legs. 

thanks so much

cakingandbaking Posted 14 May 2016 , 2:35am
post #9 of 9

Hope your cakes turn out well! All the best to you!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%