Has Anyone Ever Put Detailed Pricing Guide On Their Website/facebook Page?

Business By sugarbritches Updated 13 May 2016 , 3:37am by sugarbritches

sugarbritches Posted 12 May 2016 , 5:41am
post #1 of 4

I know this subject has been beaten to death and seems to bring inspire hostility in some decorators for some reason.  But I'm going to bring it up again.  People do not seem to understand why cake prices are what they are.  I find that except for wedding cakes, most people are not willing to pay the prices I need to charge to make it worth while.  I saw on another decorators website that she put a guide to pricing which detailed the various cost of ingredients and supplies.  Has anyone ever done that?  Does it work or does it just annoy people?  I wondered if I explain how much everything costs and explained the time it took they might get it.  Thoughts?.

3 replies
carolinecakes Posted 12 May 2016 , 1:49pm
post #2 of 4

I have worked up a per serving cost that I can live with.  So I quote the customer based by the number of servings they want based on my per serving cost.  I have seen other storefront websites where they post their per serving cost for buttercream, fondant.  Also how much they charge for any additional decorations outside of the per serving cost.

costumeczar Posted 13 May 2016 , 1:53am
post #3 of 4

Quote by @sugarbritches on 20 hours ago

I saw on another decorators website that she put a guide to pricing which detailed the various cost of ingredients and supplies.  Has anyone ever done that?  Does it work or does it just annoy people?  I wondered if I explain how much everything costs and explained the time it took they might get it.  Thoughts?.

I think that this kind of thing comes off as defensive and kind of angry and petulant. Customers don't care what your costs are, they just care what it costs them and what they're getting for it. I think it's more effective to put a starting price on your website so that people can get an idea of where your prices start, then sell what you're offering that makes your cake worth buying (custom designs, baked from scratch, whatever it is that your selling point is.)

sugarbritches Posted 13 May 2016 , 3:37am
post #4 of 4

Thank you costumeczar! You put into words what I was worried about!  I couldn't really figure out what exactly what I feared.. This is exactly it.  So glad I didn't do it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%