How Do You Charge For Cupcakes??

Business By PinkKitchenCakeLady Updated 12 May 2016 , 6:19am by Apti

PinkKitchenCakeLady Posted 11 May 2016 , 9:46pm
post #1 of 2

I'm pretty new to actually conducting a home business with my cakes. I have read all sorts of articles about pricing, but it is still the most stressful part of this business for me. I've finally stopped underpricing myself and I refuse to be the "cheap cake lady" so I charge somewhat on par with local businesses (I don't want to underprice them either, that helps no one).  I have no clue what to charge for cupcakes! I've pretty much set my base price per serving for my cakes at $3 for buttercream and $4 for fondant. Based on that what would you say I should charge for cupcakes? I make everything from scratch and I do all of my decorating by hand. I'm proud of that fact, but telling someone a price still makes me feel sick. Help!!!! 

1 reply
Apti Posted 12 May 2016 , 6:19am
post #2 of 2

Making everything from scratch and doing all the decorating is a hobby.

Telling someone a profitable price is a business.

You need to do both of these things equally well ........

A wedding sized serving of cake (1"x2"x4") is about the same volume of a standard cupcake.  Establish a minimum of 12-24 cupcakes per flavor when special ordered.  If buttercream, probably around  $30-$35/dozen.   If fondant, add $1 (or more, depending on the detail work) to each cupcake).    Charge for fancy wrappers.  Charge for fillings. 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%