Gel Food Colors

Decorating By MGRO Updated 13 May 2016 , 4:27am by cakingandbaking

MGRO Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MGRO Posted 11 May 2016 , 4:08am
post #1 of 6

Aside from americolor (and wilton), what are other good brands of gel food coloring? I'm in the US.

5 replies
maybenot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maybenot Posted 11 May 2016 , 10:50pm
post #2 of 6

You'll find lots of food colors recommended, but keep in mind that foreign made food colors may not be considered edible in the US.  Many food colors from other countries contain additives that aren't approved by the FDA, or are outright banned for use in the US.  If it uses E or C numbers solely in the ingredients list, or describes the product as "non-toxic", it probably won't pass as edible here.

Other than the 2 that you've listed, I can think of 4 more:  ChefMaster, CK products, Chef Rubber Color Emulsion Gel, and a newcomer TruColor.  I've tried the first 2 and they're fine.  I've used other Chef Rubber products and I like them.  I hear good things about TruColor.

Natiflor09 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Natiflor09 Posted 11 May 2016 , 11:15pm
post #3 of 6

I've been hearing about ProGel lately and how they're highly concentrated so you get deep colors very quickly and the tube will last you much longer. I haven't tried it out myself yet but I'm dying to

maybenot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maybenot Posted 12 May 2016 , 1:16am
post #4 of 6

ProGel colors are made by Rainbow Dust, a UK company.  Some of the colors contain FDA banned additives.  Rainbow is working on a US FDA compliant line, but it's not yet available.  Yes, you can find the colors online from people who've gotten them into the country, but they are NOT for use on food here.

kstevens Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kstevens Posted 12 May 2016 , 1:17am
post #5 of 6

I have used ProGel & find they have a much wider variety of colors to choose from.  Most of the ones I have tried don't seem to be any more concentrated than the Wilton colors though.

cakingandbaking Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakingandbaking Posted 13 May 2016 , 4:27am
post #6 of 6

I've been buying ChefMaster colors lately. So far I've only used their black airbrush color to make black dark chocolate buttercream and it's worked perfectly! I stocked up on a bunch of their gel colors (bought them from bake deco.com, they are very affordable!) and honestly haven't used any of them yet so I can't personally attest to how well they work. However, I've heard great things and read very positive reviews, plus they are significantly cheaper than Americolor gel colors which is great.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%