How Soon To Start Decorating

Decorating By liwalson1 Updated 10 May 2016 , 10:26pm by -K8memphis

liwalson1 Posted 10 May 2016 , 10:06pm
post #1 of 2

I'm making a two tier cake.  The top tier is a 6 inch cake and the bottom is an 8 inch.  The top tier will be a dummy cake on top of the 8 inch vanilla cake.  I have two questions:

1)  How soon is not too soon to start on the dummy cake?  I would like to get it out of the way at least a week before the bottom tier is done and was wondering if I could start now.  I need to have the cake completed by the end of the month and wanted to decorate the dummy cake one week prior.  Is that too soon?

2)  What recommendations do you have on the the sizes that looks best for two tier cakes? Are 8 and 6 in cakes for two tiers commonly used or 10 and 6 inch or any other combination or do they all work well?

Thanks in advance.

1 reply
-K8memphis Posted 10 May 2016 , 10:26pm
post #2 of 2

i would like an 8 x 5 or a 9 x 6 better but it's just personal preference -- zillions of 8 x 6's are made daily -- no worries

a week in advance might be ok if you can preserve it,  keep it out of the sun -- if it's buttercream you want to be sure it doesn't degrade on you -- some icings could separate, leak, dry out, crack -- but i mean some would be fine -- fondant would probably be fine -- i mean since you're not testing this out in advance with your particular recipe and weather, humidity -- try it and be prepared to re-do if necessary but it would probably work but i can't ceritify that for you kwim

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%