Good Gold Metallic Color

Decorating By Debbie-h Updated 12 May 2016 , 1:07am by maybenot

Debbie-h Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Debbie-h Posted 10 May 2016 , 9:53pm
post #1 of 6

hi . i dont use airbrush .well not yet thats my next investment . but i always hand paind im looking for goid netalic gold color the only one i could find goid was the airbrush color . i use it but it wasnt as easy to work with . i can keep use it if its my only choice . but what food gold color do you use and recomend . i also tried the luster dust powders but they only add shimmer and shine i use tuem along side the airbrush color . i would love to find the one i can do in one aplication .thank you for your help

5 replies
costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 11 May 2016 , 2:24am
post #2 of 6

Rainbow dust makes a good gold edible paint, but it comes in small bottles. It gives good coverage and it can be used on things that will be eaten.

For gumpaste, it's sometimes best to paint it then dust over that when it dries completely to give it a final coat of coverage/

SoniaMT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SoniaMT Posted 11 May 2016 , 4:11am
post #3 of 6

Im actually looking for the exact same color but to use with royal icing. costumeczar, would the rainbow dust work well when mixed into royal icing?

maybenot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maybenot Posted 11 May 2016 , 10:41pm
post #4 of 6

I come, once again, to rain on the parade. 

If you are in the US, many, many foreign made products are not deemed to be edible by the FDA.  I've communicated with Rainbow Dust and they don't export to the US because of this issue.  Small US companies buy the products and re-sell them, but Rainbow itself recognizes the issue.  They're working on a line of US compliant products. What's edible elsewhere in the world may not be classified as edible in the US.

I've spoken with Petal Crafts--USA.  They make an edible gold paint [I haven't tried it] that is manufactured in the US, citing that it meets FDA requirements.  I'd be comfortable trying it.

http://www.amazon.com/Petal-Crafts-Edible-Metallic-Paint/dp/B00PXOPJGS/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1463005863&sr=8-3&keywords=petal+crafts+edible+paint

Personally, I prefer to mix my own using edible airbrush gold metallic, edible gold luster dust [I like thesugarart.com golds a lot], and using lemon extract and/or Everclear to get the consistency that I like.

Natiflor09 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Natiflor09 Posted 11 May 2016 , 11:19pm
post #5 of 6

I know a lot of people who swear by Rolkem gold dust

maybenot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maybenot Posted 12 May 2016 , 1:07am
post #6 of 6

Quote by @Natiflor09 on 1 hour ago

I know a lot of people who swear by Rolkem gold dust

Rolkem metallic dusts are absolutely, positively not for use on food in the US.  The dusts contain real metals--E175/gold or E174/silver--just like every other highlighter dust out there that is non-toxic and not for use directly on food.  They're likely OK if used on decorations that will be removed and not eaten, but they are NOT FDA approved because the FDA does not approve the use of ANY real metals on food.  Other Rolkem products contain banned additives like E124/ponceau, E151/brilliant black, E155/brown HT, and others.  These are NOT FDA certified colors or GRAS ingredients.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%