Fondant All Wet And Sticky

Decorating By shellbell181 Updated 10 May 2016 , 8:44pm by Nancylou

shellbell181 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shellbell181 Posted 10 May 2016 , 7:39pm
post #1 of 3

I'm hoping you guys can help me! I've just covered a cake in fondant it covered wonderfully then tried using my cake smoothers on it and realised in was to sticky/soft the smoothers kept sticking too it now it's all very shiny and wet what should I do it's pretty humid at the mo which I think is half the problem and it's getting pretty late it needs smoothing and polishing up wondering wether it could wait till the mornin or is it gonna be too late by then!!! Ahhhhhhh

2 replies
Nancylou Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Nancylou Posted 10 May 2016 , 8:38pm
post #2 of 3

I wouldn't wait until morning.  Try covering or coating your smoothers and cake in powdered sugar or corn starch and that should help.  Did you cover a cold cake in fondant?  Usually you have to work pretty fast if you do cover a cold cake because it sweats and becomes tacky and really difficult to work with. 

Whichever you end up using (I prefer powdered sugar), it should help keep the smoothers from sticking.  Hope this helps.

Nancylou Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Nancylou Posted 10 May 2016 , 8:44pm
post #3 of 3

Also, if your fondant is a darker color you can buff on some vegetable shortening to remove the powder once you are finished smoothing.  Jessica Harris has some great tutorials showing how to do this.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%