A Crime Against Cake!

Decorating By Pastrybaglady Updated 13 May 2016 , 11:00pm by -K8memphis

Pastrybaglady Posted 10 May 2016 , 4:54pm
post #1 of 13

So I made a topper for a client who was going to celebrate her father's 80th birthday in Japan. They would go to Taiwan first and then to Japan. So my little golfer guy would have to brave quite a trip. This was him at home on my table, not completely cleaned up yet.

900_a-crime-against-cake_92508457321245820a2.jpg

900_a-crime-against-cake_92508457321245d182f.jpg

I saw my client when she returned and she told me a tale of his harrowing journey where he lost an arm and there was some sign breakage, but they put the arm back on and he looked fine. She made arrangements for the hotel to provide a plain cake to put the topper on. They said their most popular flavor was tropical fruit. She thought this would be a safe flavor everyone including kids would like. This is what showed up after dinner.

900_a-crime-against-cake_925084573212460a818.jpg

Who wouldn't love a sweaty guy who apparently tripped over a cake and fell into a baby pool afloat a sea of chunky fruitiness? I'm going to have to turn myself into Cake Wrecks!  You have to admire the artistry of adding snow balls around a putting green... Oh the humanity!

12 replies
MBalaska Posted 10 May 2016 , 5:28pm
post #2 of 13

@Pastrybaglady ‍ This is hilarious!!  Your topper is fabulous as always, but there is just no telling where it will end up when it leaves your house, your town or your continent. HA.  The good news may be that the old guy loved it to pieces and was very happy.  Cheers.

-K8memphis Posted 10 May 2016 , 5:33pm
post #3 of 13

that's quite a hazard around that green -- hahaha -- nice golfer and green/bag/flag -- golfers can get plenty sweaty though so...that part is true to form...

costumeczar Posted 11 May 2016 , 2:57am
post #4 of 13

That's hilarious!

Mamalynseyloo Posted 11 May 2016 , 3:42am
post #5 of 13

OMG!  That IS a crime!  The golfer is amazing though!

810whitechoc Posted 11 May 2016 , 7:05am
post #6 of 13

Too funny, I love how they piped snow balls around the 80 flag.  I thought to myself "Why would they do that?" Then I did a head slap and thought "Why would they do any of that?". Congratulations on your fabulous Cake Wreck.

kakeladi Posted 11 May 2016 , 2:36pm
post #7 of 13

What a great creation!   What a wonderful story.  LOL.  Is he sweaty do to the humidity in Japan or did they do something to him when they repaired it?

-K8memphis Posted 11 May 2016 , 5:03pm
post #8 of 13

"help i'm drowning in a sea of...mixed fruit cocktail...and snowballs"stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes.png

basketpam Posted 11 May 2016 , 10:19pm
post #9 of 13

This was a hysterical idea.  I take it this woman's father was a golfer.  I wouldn't have thought of putting all that wet fruit on top of a cake but after all, there are different cultures all around the world and not everyone does things like we do here in the US.  I'm still, even knowing about it for years now,  STILL trying to "digest" the concept of the British using a FRUITCAKE as a wedding cake and decorating it like we do our wedding cakes.  Talk about the "humanity" of it all.  And...they call our typical yellow or chocolate or red velvet, you get the idea....."fluffy" cake, "American style cake" and usually the same with our normal frostings too. How did they know ever jump on board the "fluffy" cake bandwagon?  Some of our best ideas in baking come from the British and their creative solutions during WWII and the intense rationing they had to endure. This is how cream cheese came to be used in baking as butter was so scarce.

I do however, like their idea of adding that layer of marzipan but then I'm a huge almond lover. VERY FEW people I know like marzipan and despite having it at many of my Christmas open houses I haven't converted very many people.  But the topper is hysterical and its a brilliant idea.  

basketpam Posted 11 May 2016 , 10:24pm
post #10 of 13

Have you tried a red velvet "pound" cake recipe yet?  I often use a delicious pound cake recipe as they're not so fluffy and hold up other layers better.  Just make sure whatever you use to use the needed amount of dowels.  Depending on how large each layer is its up to you whether you use the wooden dowels or plastic ones.  The British bakers have plastic ones the small size of our wooden ones.  I prefer these. I also usually put one large dowel down through the very center of ALL layers to stabilize the cake and how allow for any shifting during transport.   These dowels will be your support, not the cake beneath it.  

maureentimpson Posted 12 May 2016 , 10:56am
post #11 of 13

I don't chuckle easily, but this made me chuckle! Fantastic cake wreck story though. The topper - prior to all the abuse - is great!

Traveling far and long with anything-cake is always a great start of stories. I once traveled overseas, to decorate a wedding cake for my sister (did not bake it, just decorated). Since supplies at the destination were very questionable, and time limited, I had a suitcase packed with sealed fondant, wires, pliers, cutters, cornstarch, a whole "chemistry set" of dyes, different tools, etc. Picture all those items in a group, and imagine what a customs' officers thought I was transporting. After I looked at my packing job, I included a note to the customs' officers, describing what the things are, and begging NOT to puncture the fondant sealed wrap. When I opened the suitcase at the destination, my stuff was all there, except the note, instead I got a Customs Office form saying that my "luggage was opened for inspection". With a smiley face drawn on it. And no damage to the fondant :-)

Pastrybaglady Posted 13 May 2016 , 1:14am
post #12 of 13

Quote by @kakeladi on 1 day ago

What a great creation!   What a wonderful story.  LOL.  Is he sweaty do to the humidity in Japan or did they do something to him when they repaired it?

I think they put him in the fridge.

My customer also said she was horrified when they presented the cake to her dad with the butt facing him!

-K8memphis Posted 13 May 2016 , 11:00pm
post #13 of 13

Quote by @Pastrybaglady on 21 hours ago

My customer also said she was horrified when they presented the cake to her dad with the butt facing him!

HAHAHAHAHA that's the best part omg

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%