What Would You Do?!

Lounge By vegecaker Updated 11 May 2016 , 11:51am by Jeff_Arnett

vegecaker Posted 10 May 2016 , 3:25am
post #1 of 7

Hi fellow bakers!! 

Need a little advice here! 

A friend of a friend (whom I've only met once) has asked me to make her wedding cake and cupcakes. Only however as a second option because her original person backed out.

She wants to pick up the wedding cake and 100 cupcakes on June 28th, 2016. The wedding is not until July 5th. She has no idea how she plans on storing these cakes until the wedding day and the wedding is 4 hours out of town. 

My concern here is that I KNOW (!) that by the time of the wedding, these cakes are going to by dry! The large cake may be somewhat safe (buttercream covered) but the cupcakes for sure won't make it.

im starting to see why the other person backed out of the order. Ultimately, dry cake,my name on it, bad rep!

As much as I'd love the business, she has however already thrown out to me that $$ is an issue, I do feel that it's in her best interest to find someone else in that area to make the cake and also in my interest to not intentionally give myself a bad reputation!

What would you do?

6 replies
rdjr Posted 10 May 2016 , 3:32am
post #2 of 7

I would not do it. You know the cakes will be dry and of course she will blame it on you. If you decide to do the order, make sure you write in the contract that the cake/cupcakes will not stay moist for as long as she wants them to. Just my two cents.

maybenot Posted 10 May 2016 , 4:04am
post #3 of 7

You are liable for that food product--liable in every way, shape, and form.  If she can't FREEZE it--ALL OF IT-- for the WEEK, then no, you can't do it.  It's not just your name that is at issue, it's the health of the people eating a week old pastry product that could develop mold or grow bacteria while it sits around.  You need to cover yourself wherever possible................

Jinkies Posted 10 May 2016 , 10:55am
post #4 of 7

Yeah, this deal sounds bad all the way around.  Just.say.no.

costumeczar Posted 10 May 2016 , 11:45am
post #5 of 7

NO NO NO NO NO. When someone says that their first baker backed out that can mean anything, but if it was a professional and not just a friend doing it, that professional will have had VERY valid reasons for not doing it. From your description of the situation I can see two glaring ones, which are an unrealistic attitude toward the dates and the mentioning of money before you even give her a price. There's no reason to walk into something that you know is a bad deal unless you're a total masochist.

vegecaker Posted 11 May 2016 , 4:33am
post #6 of 7

Thank you all!

I think I just needed to hear it from others to be sure that I wasnt being dramatic about the situation.  

I spoke to the future bride earlier today and after 15 mins of explaining my concerns about the time frame of said scenario, sh was failing to grasp that a week is infact too long to be holding on to cakes without having proper storage.

I think this one is going to be a miss!

Jeff_Arnett Posted 11 May 2016 , 11:51am
post #7 of 7

If a situation makes you uncomfortable, then it's best to back out.  Same thing as when someone asks you to do a technique you've never done before...a wedding cake should never be an experiment!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%