Cookie Bakers Need Your Help!

Baking By SoniaMT Updated 13 May 2016 , 11:58am by ypierce82

SoniaMT Posted 9 May 2016 , 8:24pm
post #1 of 18

Hey guys!

Ok so i have a lot of cookie orders for the up coming 2 months. I usually have done cookies with fondant and was able to do them the night before the parties, so i haven't had to worry about storage life. This time i am crunched on time and have cake orders as well so i wanted to get the cookies out of the way since they take a lot of time and detailed work. If im using royal icing for the cookie decors, how long in advanced can i make the cookies before the party? Any tips on storage or suggestions are greatly appreciated. I dont want the cookies to be stale when they eat them at the party but i also need to do them before the cake or im going to burn myself out! Also, i have never done cookies with sticks, in June i have a party and i need to make cookie with sticks in them. Any tips on how to do that with out having the cookie crumble off. Thanks ! 

17 replies
Dar917 Posted 10 May 2016 , 4:58am
post #2 of 18

Cookies can be frozen for a good while. Do you intend to decorate them and then freeze them? If you're using royal icing I imagine they'd be fine frozen if you let the icing dry first.

Don't know much about the cookie pops though, sorry!

SoniaMT Posted 10 May 2016 , 5:55pm
post #3 of 18

I was hoping to be able to decorate them with royal icing and maybe keep them in the refrigerator in an air tight container or bag. I didn't want to freeze only because i dont know what will happen to the decor and colors when its defrosting. Plus i dont have much space in my freezer. Do you know how long i can keep them in the refrigerator? or even out in room temperature? 

Dar917 Posted 11 May 2016 , 5:18am
post #4 of 18

Refrigerated should be fine for quite a while as well, and room temperature should be good at least a few days in an airtight container. I'm not sure how royal icing behaves if it's thawing either; I've never tried freezing something decorated with it.

SoniaMT Posted 11 May 2016 , 2:45pm
post #5 of 18

@Dar917 Thanks! I think im going to do them a week in advanced and keep them in the refrigerator in an air tight container. Im doing a trail batch today and im going to leave it for a week to see the freshness.

ypierce82 Posted 11 May 2016 , 9:19pm
post #6 of 18

I would NOT store decorated cookies in the fridge. Once they come to room temp, they could run into issues with the temp difference, which will cause spots in the design, and possible bleeding of colors. If they are being bagged, they will be perfectly fine in the bag on the counter. I do my cookies up to 1 week in advance of the date needed. The icing has sealed the top, and the bag keeps them soft and I have never had a stale cookie.

SoniaMT Posted 11 May 2016 , 11:28pm
post #7 of 18

@ypierce82 Thanks for the info! I didnt know there would be an issue with the color running after leaving it in the refrigerator. I will just keep it out in a sealed container. I plan on doing it a week an advanced this time, but just to know how long will it be fine to do in advance? Whats the longest you have left it out and still had great tasting cookies?

ypierce82 Posted 12 May 2016 , 12:02am
post #8 of 18

You're welcome! I bag all of my cookies, no matter what. So of course I include that in pricing. I usually do a large order at 1 week in advance. I let my daughter decorate Easter cookies and I put them in a bag, at the one week mark they were perfect. I tasted them at the two week mark and they had started to get hard, even while bagged. So I would stick to 1 week ahead.

kstevens Posted 12 May 2016 , 1:29am
post #9 of 18

I have made cookies on sticks several times with no issues of them crumbling off the stick.  I use a rolled sugar cookie dough.  Cut them out as per usual, lay a stick on them & then apply a "patch" of dough over the stick.  The key is to make sure you purchase cookie sticks as they are safe for use in the oven.  I found this blog that may help you:

My technique is similar to her technique #2 but I don't insert the sticks in to the cookie.  Once baked, I flip them over to decorate them so that the dough patch is on the back side.

Dar917 Posted 12 May 2016 , 2:53am
post #10 of 18

So if the royal icing is completely dry and hard, the colors will still run if refrigerated? Huh, learn something new every day.

kstevens Posted 12 May 2016 , 3:25am
post #11 of 18

Yes, it happened to me when I started. Going from cold to room temp messed them up, that's how I know about the spots and color bleed.

SoniaMT Posted 12 May 2016 , 3:40am
post #12 of 18

@kstevens Thanks for the tip, i will try it that way! Those cookies are soooo cute! Great Job!! im actually making flowers  and butterflies too. I love that you have them in a pot!  what did you use as the soil? Crumbled oreos? 

kstevens Posted 12 May 2016 , 4:12am
post #13 of 18

@SoniaMT ‍ Yes, the soil is Oreo cookie crumbs.  The pots are over-sized cupcakes. They are what I made for Mother's Day last year.  Thanks for the compliment.  I hope I was able to help.

As a side note, I did not make post #11.  Very weird/odd to see my name with a post I did not make.......

kstevens Posted 12 May 2016 , 4:28am
post #14 of 18

I made it, I was wondering what was going on. This site is messed up!

kstevens Posted 12 May 2016 , 4:28am
post #15 of 18

Ypierce82 is me. What the hell?!

ypierce82 Posted 12 May 2016 , 4:32am
post #16 of 18

I logged out and logged back in, that was really weird.

kstevens Posted 12 May 2016 , 1:58pm
post #17 of 18

@ypierce82 ‍I agree that this site is COMPLETELY messed up right now!  I tried logging in 3 times & each time it logged me in as someone else.  That is not good!  I will contact them about it which is probably a waste of time as they never reply to my questions about the site.

ypierce82 Posted 13 May 2016 , 11:58am
post #18 of 18

I'm almost glad that it happened to most of us, I did not want anyone thinking that I was trying to hack their page! Now we have 10+ pages of spam posts.

Quote by @%username% on %date%