Deep Dark Chocolate Cake, Too Fragile??

Baking By neda_la Updated 10 May 2016 , 4:26am by carolinecakes

neda_la Posted 8 May 2016 , 6:17pm
post #1 of 5

Hello Everyone

I am not sure why my deep dark chocolate cake(same recipe as back of Hershey's' cocoa powder, except for milk I use sour cream) is so fragile that when I want to take it out of the pan it all falls apart.

I have tried the recipe with milk as well but the outcome was the same.

Is there anyway I can make it a bit more firm? Maybe adding one more egg?

Sorry I have no idea ow the chemicals in cakes work!

4 replies
costumeczar Posted 8 May 2016 , 9:52pm
post #2 of 5

are you taking it out of the pan when it's warm? maybe if you let it cool down completely in the pan (I'm talking about 5-6 hours) it will have a chance to solidify a bit and hold together.

bubs1stbirthday Posted 9 May 2016 , 9:17am
post #3 of 5

That cake is really really soft. I have modified it so that it is so much easier to handle and the texture is still delicious. Just add an extra 50% of the required flour amount and this will make for a better texture.

I also add a bit more cocoa powder but I don't have my recipe book on hand so I can't remember exactly how much extra cocoa powder, I think it may be an extra 10 grams but that is to our personal taste.

savannahquinn Posted 10 May 2016 , 3:50am
post #4 of 5

My friend baked this exact cake this weekend and I decorated for her.  OMG so soft..... It was delicious but so difficult to work with.  

carolinecakes Posted 10 May 2016 , 4:26am
post #5 of 5

The chocolate recipe I use is also very fragile but I loooove it. I always line the bottom of my pan with parchment paper, let it cool 30 mins in the pan on a cooling rack. Next place a circle of parchment paper on top of the cake, then a cake board, preferably the size of the pan, with your thumbs on the  board and your fingers on the bottom of the pan, gently flip. Lay the cake board which now has the cake on it,  on the cooling rack and lift the cake pan off your cake. Gently peel off the parchment paper that lined the pan. Voila your cake is in one piece out of your pan. At this point I wrap and freeze my cakes at least overnight. HTH

Quote by @%username% on %date%