How Do You Make These Stores On A Cake?

Decorating By JustVcakes Updated 7 May 2016 , 5:43am by JustVcakes

JustVcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JustVcakes Posted 7 May 2016 , 1:06am
post #1 of 7

900_159323My5H_paris-birthday-cake.jpg

900_159323hCV9_paris-birthday-cake.jpg

900_159323mpIL_paris-birthday-cake.jpg

Is it modeling chocolate?  Does anyone have a good tutorial or idea where to even start something like this.

6 replies
costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 7 May 2016 , 1:35am
post #2 of 7

Lots of futzy little details, working with an exacto knife, and patience. You could copy it exactly if you wanted to, it just looks like a lot of hand-cut and hand-modeled pieces and sections put together.

carolinecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carolinecakes Posted 7 May 2016 , 2:39am
post #3 of 7

I think modeling chocolate or fondant  can be used. You can google store front pic art or use the picture of the cake as your guide. Break it down to single store fronts so it doesn't seem overwhelming. You want to make a template the size of the cake you are decorating, so if its a 12" round x 4"H cut a strip of paper 31.5 "long x 4" that is the area you will be putting your designs on. Each store front is a rectangle/ a square/a half circle with columns......you get the idea. You want to measure and draw it on your paper so all the store fronts fit on the side of the cake. Once you have you layout you cut out the pieces with an x-acto knife, some of the molding around the doors and windows would be easier if you use an extruder. Otherwise you can hand roll them and use modeling tools to shape and draw in  the little details.

The umbrella and awnings I would mold in RKT and cover with the modeling chocolate or fondant. Attach with toothpicks & water or edible glue.

The topiaries can be made entirely of chocolate or fondant, cube bases with a wooden skewer stuck in the middle, wrap a coil of fondant around it. You can texture the green shrub with a stiff brush.

If its not clear or you have questions lmk

My favorite shortcut is to print the cake, enlarge it to the size you need and use that as your template, yeah I know I'm lazy sometimes. I love the cobble stone cake board, nice finishing touch.

carolinecakes Posted 7 May 2016 , 2:44am
post #4 of 7
carolinecakes Posted 7 May 2016 , 2:51am
post #5 of 7

check it out......b&w pics, I hate to waste ink......

http://thegraphicsfairy.com/free-architecture-clip-art-store-front/

JustVcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JustVcakes Posted 7 May 2016 , 5:43am
post #7 of 7

Thank you so much for the help!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%