For A Cake Wrap, Will Semi Sweet Choc. Chips Harden At The Same Rate As Candy Melts?

Decorating By weluvpiggies Updated 10 May 2016 , 12:26am by -K8memphis

weluvpiggies Posted 6 May 2016 , 11:55am
post #1 of 5

I want to make a cake wrap with color so here's my question.  I want to outline in the semi sweet chocolate chips and fill in the spaces with candy melts. When I put it into the fridge to set just enough to put it onto the cake. will they 'set' at the same rate or will one harden faster than the other?

Thanks so much!!  :))))

4 replies
-K8memphis Posted 6 May 2016 , 4:36pm
post #2 of 5

ok let's see for starters i never fridged mine -- i left it on my marble top to set up -- so you need to measure your fridge -- the biggest cake i could do is an 8" because that circumference is about 25" and i could fit 26" in there -- tight fit but i would be concerned it would set too quick in there -- because you want it pliable not fully set --

and i would not mix the two mediums -- chips have more wax or something in there to keep them from dissolving when baked  right -- so i would use all the same kind -- and you can get semisweet melts --

but if you do use the chips you can put some p--- can't remember the name of it it's not paraffin something like paragon -- wow someone will help me out here but you can add some of that to soften the bite on the chips so they are not so hard on the tooth --

paramount crystals!

Pastrybaglady Posted 9 May 2016 , 9:24pm
post #3 of 5

I agree with K8, the candy melts set really fast compared to the semi sweet chips, they don't mix well.

weluvpiggies Posted 9 May 2016 , 10:58pm
post #4 of 5

Yep!  I found that one out!  I couldn't use them at all because they set up very fast!  I just did a plain semi sweet chocolate wrap instead.  I still want to figure out how to do a colored choc. wrap though.  I tried white choc. chips once and they set up as fast as the candy melts.  I wonder if there's a certain kind of white chocolate that might work. 

Anyone know?

Thanks! ;)

-K8memphis Posted 10 May 2016 , 12:26am
post #5 of 5

use all candy melts -- they come in every denomination of chocolate

Quote by @%username% on %date%