Baking By emyem35 Updated 5 May 2016 , 9:53pm by Jinkies

emyem35 Posted 5 May 2016 , 8:31pm
post #1 of 9

900_help_988452572bad9522e64.jpgCan anyone tell me why my cake has sunk round the edges like this? I'm so annoyed & confused! My normal vanilla cakes don't do this

8 replies
emyem35 Posted 5 May 2016 , 8:32pm
post #2 of 9

For some reason the picture rotated to the side! 

-K8memphis Posted 5 May 2016 , 8:41pm
post #3 of 9

how many cakes is that -- how tall and big around - and we/i need your recipe

emyem35 Posted 5 May 2016 , 8:46pm
post #4 of 9

Well, there's 3 stacked cakes there. That were baked in a 4 inch round tin.

The recipe is 225g of butter, caster sugar & flour. Baking powder. 1 cup of cocoa powder with 2 cups of water.

I make my vanilla cake like this minus the choc. In the same tin at the same temp & never had this issue. Got the recipe from 'how to cake it'

(not those measurements though) 

-K8memphis Posted 5 May 2016 , 9:40pm
post #5 of 9

Quote by @lindseyjhills on 12 Jan 2014 , 5:05am

AI love it when people make me cakes, but they rarely do :(

Going back to the question, I believe I have a couple of possible answers. I've baked from scratch for over twenty years, but still get thrown a curve ball from time to time! This has happened to me before when I baked a round 14 inch cake. I scaled up my recipe incorrectly (as I discovered after the fact) and, long story short, there wasn't enough volume of batter for the size of the tin. When I realised my mistake I baked it again with the correct volume and it was fine. What I think happened was the cake rose to the height of the tin initially, but then collapsed on itself as there was not enough 'support' from the tin to sustain the height for that density of cake. I'm also wondering if milo (never heard of it either) contains titanium dioxide? Even a small amount of titanium dioxide can drastically change the density/structure of a cake and how it behaves. If it made the cake too dense, it could've risen too quickly and then collapsed on itself.

Jinkies Posted 5 May 2016 , 9:44pm
post #6 of 9

I've been using her chocolate and vanilla cake recipes lately and I've never had that issue. Did you use the baking soda as well as the baking powder? The recipe also calls for dutch processed cocoa.  That's different than regular cocoa.  I don't know what you're using.

emyem35 Posted 5 May 2016 , 9:45pm
post #7 of 9

I was wondering if I had filled the cake tin too high. My vanilla cake is usually quite a thick batter & never had this problem. But this batter was more runny & pourable! I imagine that could be what's done it. I think I'll try chocolate are recipes in the future that don't use water! 

Jinkies Posted 5 May 2016 , 9:50pm
post #8 of 9

Those recipes are made for 3" tins and hold up really well in them.  She also scales it for you on her blog.

I would suggest that ,If you haven't already, convert it to weights and make sure to use dutch processed cocoa.

Jinkies Posted 5 May 2016 , 9:53pm
post #9 of 9

Sorry, we were typing at the same time.  If your batter was runny, you had a measuring issue.  Yo's chocolate cake batter is not runny.  And, I've baked the 6lb recipe in 2- 8x3" tins and they came out great, rose right to the top!

Actually, all her recipes are really good :)

Quote by @%username% on %date%