Wedding Cake Baker...and Bridesmaid!

Baking By Daniee Updated 5 May 2016 , 11:38pm by Daniee

Daniee Posted 5 May 2016 , 6:58am
post #1 of 18

Hi, first post here!

I was just wondering if anyone had any tips or tricks about making cakes in advance with decorations and all as I'll be making the wedding cake for my sisters wedding and also in the bridal party... I've already figured out someone else will need to deliver it to the venue but I'm worried about making the cake as I work full time and baking is a hobby... Help?? Anyone? 

How far in advance can I start making the cakes? There will be one large cake and the rest will be 3-tier mini cupcakes...

17 replies
cakebaby2 Posted 5 May 2016 , 9:18am
post #2 of 18

When is the wedding? If you are confident of your baking skills there is no reason why you cant have the cake baked, fully decorated boxed up, wrapped in saran and frozen a week before. This takes the pressure off you as you will, apart from your work commitments be needed for other bridesmaid duties. I assume you mean the cupcakes are 3 layers of cake and filling rather than tiers? These can be frozen too in boxes and wrapped in saran the same way, though you may need to beg or borrow freezer space from the rest of the family.

There are great threads on here about freezing cake very successfully and for the past two years I've been doing it all the time whether I need to or not. It actually improves the flavor and texture of the cake.(IMO)

One last point though, you haven't mentioned the type of cake or fillings, some, like the cream cheese fillings etc  do not freeze well.

Good luck, x

costumeczar Posted 5 May 2016 , 10:56am
post #3 of 18

I wouldn't freeze the cupcakes since the wrappers can loosen and separate from the cupcakes when they defrost...Or you could have extra fancy liners ready to put them into so if the ones they were baked in do separate they'll still be inside the other ones.

How big is the cake going to be? What kind of decorations are going on it? I'd keep it really simple, because there's a lot of stuff that you're going to have to do right before a wedding as far as bridesmaid "duties" go, and you're going to be more stressed out from that than you think.

kristykgs Posted 5 May 2016 , 12:11pm
post #4 of 18

Guess it depends on the liners, because I freeze all cupcakes and never had the liners separate. I always defrost completely in the ziplock bag it was frozen in. I know a lot of posters on here freeze their cupcakes.

kakeladi Posted 5 May 2016 , 3:28pm
post #5 of 18

I'm w/custome about cuppies separating from the liners they are baked in when fzn.  It happened to me all the time:(

IF you have freezer space you can start baking today :)  Yes, freezing improves the cake overall if it is wrapped properly. You can also make your icing (if using b'cream) and freeze that or just refrigerate - ABC will  keep for more than a month.   If you are using fondant you can make it now and keep in a sealed container in a cool, dry cupboard.  Depending on what decorations being used, you might even be able to make those at any time keeping them in a covered box in that same cool, dry cupboard.  Some flowers, (like roses, lilies) can be made way ahead of time in ABC and especially gp.  

OOoohhh 3 tier mini cuppies are time stealers!  It is going to take much more time then you think to create those if they are what I'm picturing.  Are you cutting rounds out of a sheet cake, then stacking and icing these?  Oh my, get crackin' gal!  Those can be made way ahead and fzn 

kristykgs Posted 5 May 2016 , 4:57pm
post #6 of 18

I guess I have been very fortunate, as I have never had cupcakes separate from their liners after frozen. That is all I make, as I don't do cakes - no patience..LOL. 

remnant3333 Posted 5 May 2016 , 6:35pm
post #7 of 18

I have heard some horror stories about letting other people pick up a wedding cake and they sit it on the seat of the car which makes it uneven causing it to slip and slide while driving. Be very careful who you choose to take the cake to the venue!! 

kakeladi Posted 5 May 2016 , 6:40pm
post #8 of 18

OP said: ......someone else will need to deliver it to the venue..........

remnant reminded us about this comment and Yes, she is right do be VERY, VERY careful who you have deliver the cake.  We don't have any idea of you skills (beginner, talented or ?) but I'm sure you know how to handle delivering cakes and will realize this.

-K8memphis Posted 5 May 2016 , 7:06pm
post #9 of 18

i made the cakes for my kids and i was cleared of any other duties as was my husband -- he was all mine for the duration -- it's a big deal to pull off so that's how we did it -- also be sure to have back up plans for back up plans -- and i mean why can't you just be the dedicated caker bridesmaid -- it's tough to wear two hats for an event like this  -- but anyway just be careful to allow much more time than necessary to accomplish everything and i'm not kidding -- and one more thing just because your sister is getting married doesn't mean you can be super girl or wonder woman -- but anyway -- wrap the cakes like mummies and thaw very gradually too --

best to you

costumeczar Posted 5 May 2016 , 7:56pm
post #10 of 18

Quote by @kristykgs on 2 hours ago

I guess I have been very fortunate, as I have never had cupcakes separate from their liners after frozen. That is all I make, as I don't do cakes - no patience..LOL. 

Haha! that's funny, I don't do cupcakes because I have no patience for fussy little things :)

-K8memphis Posted 5 May 2016 , 8:58pm
post #11 of 18

that's exactly what i thought too -- no patience for the little individual dealios aka no patience at all.hardly --

but about the cupcake papers Some wrappers come off Some recipes Some or All of the time for Some of us but the point is that its a potential major hurdle to overcome when you're attempting a wedding that you might not have a ton of experience with -- it's important to know about the hazard right because it would be tacky on the cake table to have wonked out wrappers peeling off and allowing the cakes to stale as well

and all that to say glad yours All stay on :)

kristykgs Posted 5 May 2016 , 10:27pm
post #12 of 18

hahaha...see cupcakes aren't that meticulous as cakes. I don't have the patience to sit down and practice, practice, practice doing all the flowers and shaping characters out of fondant, and doing all the intricate designs that I see on cakes, not to leave out sculpting. That takes real talent. Kudos to all of you who can do that. I admire you all

Daniee Posted 5 May 2016 , 10:45pm
post #13 of 18

Thank you everyone for all your advice. 

I'm a relatively new cake decorator, but I wouldn't say I'm untalented. I trust my skills in actually creating the cake, just worried about timing it all right!

The cupcakes - as I should have specified - are going to be the three tier mini cakes. You can buy pans for them online - which is what I have ordered. So they're just like a three tiered cake, only minuscule. 

I'll be sure to look further into freezing the cakes. Have yet to organize the cake stand that it'll all be resting on... 

Luckily for me, the cake isn't until November! So I have a bit of time yet to organize myself, and I'm going to be doing a test run before the actual day so hopefully I can figure out how much time everything will take me for that. 

It's going to be a white chocolate mud cake - any one know how well the freeze?

Thanks again for all your great advice!

-K8memphis Posted 5 May 2016 , 10:45pm
post #14 of 18

a good cupcake is a beautiful thing -- tidy wrappers even better --

-K8memphis Posted 5 May 2016 , 10:46pm
post #15 of 18

just curious -- how many three tier cakes are you responsible for?

kakeladi Posted 5 May 2016 , 11:11pm
post #16 of 18

Good luck w/those minis.  I've heard pro and con about them - alass mostly con :(   Again, in this case a chest freezer is going to be your friend.  

Daniee Posted 5 May 2016 , 11:36pm
post #17 of 18

How many you ask?
Only like... 60... 
It's going to take a long time

Daniee Posted 5 May 2016 , 11:38pm
post #18 of 18

kakeladi - I've heard some bad things also... 
But I'm hoping that by keeping it simple, I'll be able to get through it...

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%