Wedding Planners And You

Decorating By Kim1182 Updated 5 May 2016 , 3:16pm by Pastrybaglady

Kim1182 Posted 4 May 2016 , 5:38pm
post #1 of 5

I understand that each planner is probably different, but want to hear what you have to say about your experiences with them and how you dealt with or intereacted with them.  Do you work through them on all matters relating to the wedding cake?  Do you stipulate anything in your contract as to how you'll operate/communicate with the person signing the wedding cake contract, etc.?

4 replies
cakingandbaking Posted 5 May 2016 , 2:43am
post #2 of 5

My personal experience is that it's best not going through the wedding planner. Yes, they can be helpful and their opinions are useful sometimes, but the last thing you want is the bride ending up with anything besides the cake SHE wants. It's her special day, her opinions are the most important, and only she knows exactly what she wants. I only talk with wedding planners about details I don't want to bother the bride with and things only they would know, like what door to use when delivering the cake, specific set-up/layout of the reception, etc.

As far as contracts, because the bride is the one signing the contract, she should be the one doing all the communication. You wouldn't sign a loan if you hadn't looked over it and personally negotiated it yourself! On my contracts, I have "Signature of the Bride" next to the signing line.

Of course, this is going to vary from baker to baker, but this is the way I do it! Hope this helps!

costumeczar Posted 5 May 2016 , 11:13am
post #3 of 5

I agree, I don't go through the planner unless it's someone I know and trust 100%. Some "planners" aren't planners at all, they're just friends of the bride and don't know what they're doing. Others are taking a cut of everything they charge the bride for, and they want to funnel all contracts through them so that they can bill the bride your price plus a markup fee. I don't work that way, so I require the bride to sign the contract and I get the payments from the bride. I don't communicate with the planner unless I have to get information and the bride isn't responding.

I've had situations where the planner will write to set up a tasting appointment and wont' give me the bride's information or contact emails to confirm anything. I tell them that I need to email the bride with the confirmation directly so that I can hear back from them. Most will, but every now and then one won't. One "planner" who I'd never heard of and whose contact info was her hair salon email (i.e. not a planner) told me that all communication had to go through her and she didn't give out the bride's email. I told her that I wouldn't work with her and to go pound sand (not in those exact words.) If someone is so controlling that they don't want the bride to talk to the vendors they're definitely up to something weird.

Just remember that there's no bar to entry to be a wedding planner. In the wedding industry there are a lot of Martha Stewart wannabes who buy a headset and some clipboards and call themselves "wedding planner" but they don't know what they're doing. 

Then there are the planners who create problems then "solve" the problems they created to make themselves look good, and it's usually the other vendors who get blamed. Planners are a tricky bunch. If you find some good ones to work with treasure them...

Pastrybaglady Posted 5 May 2016 , 3:16pm
post #4 of 5

Quote by @costumeczar on 3 hours ago

Then there are the planners who create problems then "solve" the problems they created to make themselves look good, and it's usually the other vendors who get blamed. Planners are a tricky bunch. If you find some good ones to work with treasure them...

Seriously, yet another reason the wedding business is not for the faint of heart! I commend all of you brave enough to enter the gauntlet.

Pastrybaglady Posted 5 May 2016 , 3:16pm
post #5 of 5

Quote by @costumeczar on 3 hours ago

Seriously, yet another reason the wedding business is not for the faint of heart! I commend all of you brave enough to enter the gauntlet.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%