I have a wedding cake that I'm doing for the end to the month 3 tiers and I can't seem to find a step by step on how to re-create it. Can anyone link me to a tutorial or tell me how this is done please?
That's not too tough.
1. Crumb ice your cakes and chill (or do whatever procedure you usually do).
2. Mix up icing in whatever shades you want to use.
3. Apply the different color icings in areas about 1 inch wide, starting with the darkest at the bottom and lighter ones at the top. You can do this with spatula or a piping bag with a flat tip.
4. To get the texture, hold a spatula agains the cake with one hand and slowly turn the turntable to make a complete turn without lifting the spatual.
5. Wipe off the spatula, position above the first are, but overlap just a bit to get some blending, and repeat the procees. Do this over and over to you get to the top. PERSONALLY, I just hold my spatula against the side and never stop turning the cake as I slowly move the spatula upward...either way works fine.
6. Alternately, you could just do the spatula technique on white icing, then airbrush the colors on.
Check out this video....skip up to about 3:20 and this guy will demonstrate the technique of using the spatula to make the texture. You can vary the size of the texture by using different sized spatulas.
Sorry for the typo...CC won't let me edit anything today.
Step 4 that's supposed to be "spatula"
Step 5 that's supposed to be "area" not are