Making Tulips Have A Question....

Decorating By jellybeanlane Updated 5 May 2016 , 9:54pm by jellybeanlane

jellybeanlane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jellybeanlane Posted 4 May 2016 , 2:01am
post #1 of 15

Hi everyone,

I'm making cake pop tulips as a bouquet for a mother's day gift... I was wondering if yall could tell me a good ratio for gumpaste and fondant that would keep the petals soft but also stationary .... I've included a photo of what I'm making, thank you for your help...

[postimage id="3772" thumb="900"]

14 replies
costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 4 May 2016 , 2:04am
post #2 of 15

It's going to dry out no matter what if you mix gumpaste into it. Even fondant on its own will dry out. If you mix modeling chocolate and fondant, or use modeling chocolate by itself, it will hold the shape but be easy to bite.

jellybeanlane Posted 4 May 2016 , 2:14am
post #3 of 15

ok awesome thank you so much @costumeczar ‍ 

Apti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Apti Posted 4 May 2016 , 3:43am
post #4 of 15

Made my teeth cringe thinking about biting into a 50/50 fondant/gum paste covered cake pop...lol

Costumeczar is 100% correct as usual!

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 4 May 2016 , 7:20am
post #5 of 15

I made many of my flowers out of  fondant w/ Wilton's gumpaste powder mixed in that resulted in what you are aiming for.  Just let them dry for 24 hrs.  I never measured how much gp powder - just dipped the fondant into the powder then worked it in until it felt 'tight'.  I'm guessing not more than 1/4 teaspoon to 1/2 cup (tennis ball size) fondant.

Apti Posted 4 May 2016 , 2:21pm
post #6 of 15

kakeladi -- did you know she wants to make tulip cake pops that will be totally eaten, not just the flowers?

jellybeanlane Posted 4 May 2016 , 3:38pm
post #7 of 15

[postimage id="3774" thumb="900"]The lady that did these used something called flower paste and someone commented that it was gumpaste and fondant mixed that's why I asked because I had never heard of flower paste before... But if modeling choc mixed with some fondant will work well and be soft to be eaten then that will work I'm pretty good at modeling choc flowers .... Here are some roses I did ...

remnant3333 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
remnant3333 Posted 4 May 2016 , 4:17pm
post #8 of 15

The roses look wonderful!!! Great job!!

jellybeanlane Posted 4 May 2016 , 5:05pm
post #9 of 15

@remnant3333 

Thank you 

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 4 May 2016 , 5:08pm
post #10 of 15

Apti guess it didn't register in my brain exactly what she was asking.  I 1st got the impression your reply was talking ab out covering a whole cake w/gp/fondant :)  That's what I get for staying up past midnight.

MBalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBalaska Posted 4 May 2016 , 6:48pm
post #11 of 15

here's a vote for modeling chocolate

jellybeanlane Posted 4 May 2016 , 7:18pm
post #12 of 15

I'm excited I have so many color variations I can use with the choc melts in going to do pink with strawberry cake pop ... Yellow with lemon cake pop... Red with red velvet cake pop.... Blue with blueberry cake pop... Orange with cream sickle cake pop... Purple with choc cake pop... And teal with snow cream cake pop.... I am so excited lol

Apti Posted 4 May 2016 , 8:31pm
post #13 of 15

@jellybeanlane  --  Since this is an international cake forum, there are MANY different names for the same thing.  What is called "flower paste" by one person may be any number of things created with different products and recipes.

Are you in the USA?  The forum used to allow the avatar for the poster to list the country, but that feature is gone now and we all have to guess.  Different countries not only have different names for the same product, but they also have VERY different approaches to what is considered 'tasty' and/or 'sell-able'. 

Example:  Fruit cake in UK = popular

Fruit cake in USA = not popular

Golden syrup in UK = found in every kitchen and corner market

Golden syrup in USA = ?????

jellybeanlane Posted 5 May 2016 , 9:53pm
post #14 of 15

Yes I'm in the USA @Apti so that's what confused me the package looked like fondant But not said flower paste.... She does the videos zoes cakes I've seen on here some times I found it on YouTube but one comment was the fondant and gumpaste so that's what I toughtbit was 

jellybeanlane Posted 5 May 2016 , 9:54pm
post #15 of 15

It said flower paste sorry spell check 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%