Am I Alone In This Sickness??

Lounge By Cali6422 Updated 6 May 2016 , 8:17am by cakebaby2

Cali6422 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cali6422 Posted 3 May 2016 , 6:08pm
post #1 of 18

I’m self-proclaimed a wannabe caker.  I don’t entertain notions of being a professional caker.  I don’t possess the patience or fortitude to deal with actual customers.  But I do aspire to become skilled enough to create some of the breathtaking and wondrous creations I see posted.

I pour over sites and forums dedicated to the cakecraft.  I scrutinize photos with an intensity usually reserved for crime scene investigations.  I must determine if they are really made of cake … are they edible … or are they dreaded Styrofoam and non-edible decorated imposters!! My husband has become immune to my shrieks of “Look at this cake … It’s actually a cake!”  My phone contains enough bookmarked photos that I fully expect it to have a complete meltdown any day now.

In an effort to contain our already overly ample waistlines, I bestow my infrequent and sporadic caking efforts on anyone with a sweet tooth.  To their apparent dismay, I turn down their requests for special occasion cakes.  I explain that I cannot legally charge, and I do not have the time to undertake these projects.  Of course there's usually that pesky issue of them wanting an elaborately carved, copyrighted character cake, with no fondant, not too sweet cream cheese frosting, to feed 75 people … with a budget of $50.00.  Slight exaggeration … but you get my drift. Suffice to say, I'm glad my explanation of “can’t charge and don’t have time” usually dissuade further discussion.

Now I have developed a whole new problem -  Although I have ample enthusiasm, I lack the time to actually make these cakes with any frequency.  I have ideas-a-plenty - Sketched out on all manner of scraps of paper … receipts, cocktail napkins, paper towels, back of my hand – But alas, I have no time to execute them. No time to improve and evolve as a caker.

To ease my depression over not being able to create, I acquire.  And I acquire … and I acquire!  I acquire new pans, stock up on colors, acquire equipment, and more equipment.  I hoard ingredients as if there will be a shortage of butter, flour and confectioners’ sugar in the MidwestPrinters, levelers, cutting machines, redundant mixers, 9,642 decorating tips, compressors, airbrush colors, petal dusts, every spatula, spreader and doodad known to womankind!  It’s a sickness threatening to take over what I’d thought was an ample sized condominium.

Is there hope?  Is there a support group?  Any self help books addressing this topic?  Or perhaps a way to manufacture 5 or 6 more hours in the day???  Am I alone in this??  LOL  relaxed.png

17 replies
costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 3 May 2016 , 6:34pm
post #2 of 18

When I opened a business account for my cake business and paid for everything out of that, I was shocked at how much extra spending money suddenly showed up in our personal budget...

Gerle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Gerle Posted 3 May 2016 , 6:42pm
post #3 of 18

You sound like me.  I also collect recipes galore!  I have 3, 4-shelf bookcases full of binders that are full of recipes.  I was baking cakes for the family because I love to bake, but they decided that they didn't want me to bake cakes because they felt they didn't need them, so I quit baking cakes for them.  I have one whole bedroom in my house dedicated to cake supplies - tips, cake pans, baking supplies, all kinds of baking "things".  I haven't purchased anything in a long time....I'm not allowing myself to because I really don't have room for anything more and I feel that I have to stop at some point and figured that this is the point I must stop.  It is strictly a hobby with me and I, too, love to look at all the beautiful cakes that are made, dream of trying them at some point in time.  I did make my youngest son's wedding cake, have made several birthday cakes, baby shower cakes and other special occasion cakes, and enjoyed making them, but most of the family has decided that they don't need all those cakes so asked me to back off and not bake them, so I have.  I have friends who'd love for me to bake for them and their friends, but I can't afford to take on that chore for free, and that's what they're looking for.  I'm also getting up there in age, so realize I'm going to have to slow down at some point, so decided now is as good a time as any.  My husband gives me a bad time because we have 2 freezers that are full of more stuff for baking than for regular meals, plus a spare fridge in the garage that is also full of baking supplies.  We have several fruit/citrus trees on our property and I freeze a lot of that stuff for baking, too.  I like to have stuff on hand "just in case" I need it.  I haven't gone to the extent to get too many things like printers or other really expensive equipment, but I did invest in a good cake leveler (the agbay) and I have several cake stands, I only have 2 mixers (only because I use one for our cabin and one at home) but I do have quite a few cake pans.  Caking is definitely very contagious!

Cali6422 Posted 3 May 2016 , 6:49pm
post #4 of 18

costumezar ... Now ya got me thinkin' ... Maybe I SHOULD open a business - Just don't take any orders ... Then use my purchases as a writeoff.  LOL  (If only that were an actual loophole!)

Gerle ... I think we may be twins separated at birth!  lol  I also have cookbooks galore.  AND, yes, I've also taken over a spare bedroom just to warehouse all my supplies. lol

Good to know it's not just me!

MBalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBalaska Posted 3 May 2016 , 9:29pm
post #5 of 18

Join the club, we've got jackets!!

However if you start to Binge on supplies, you'll eventually have to Purge the stuff that you've never touched, or never ever have used.  Or you'll end up like those crazy people on the 'Hoarders' show on TV.   

Gerle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Gerle Posted 3 May 2016 , 11:04pm
post #6 of 18

MBalaska, that is so true.  We have a family friend who has a daughter that makes cakes and I believe she does do it as a small business down in southern California.  I'm thinking seriously of seeing if she's interested in some of the stuff I have if my daughters-in-law aren't interested in some of it.  If she is, I thought I'd see if I could maybe sell it to her for a small fee.  Not right away, but maybe in a couple years or so.  If not, I'll probably have a garage sale for cake bakers and get rid of some of it.  I know there are several cake bakers in this area that may be interested in some of the things I have.

remnant3333 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
remnant3333 Posted 3 May 2016 , 11:45pm
post #7 of 18

Yes, I too have too many cake books, cake pans and supplies!! I just couldn't resist buying a few of those new Russian decorating tips. I ordered them today. As if I don't have enough already!! I don't think I have tried all of the tips that I already have!! Glad to know I am not the only one. I only bake as a hobby.

We just moved here in Tennessee so I really don't bake as much as I used to.   I do have several friends here of which I will probably bake some of my closer friend's birthday cakes for free just so I will not forget how to decorate. 

So, don't feel all alone!! I had to laugh when I read this post because I have too much also!! 

cakebaby2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakebaby2 Posted 4 May 2016 , 10:08am
post #8 of 18

I have the solution to your problem as I was once just like you and I'm here to help. You've taken the first step in asking for help....and that's admirable!

Gumpaste Flowers is the solution.

Trust me here, when you get hooked on the flowers you'll forget about the cake...Ms Alaska am I right or am I right girl?

You'll forget all about the cake, I myself have lost the oven under the mountain of gumpaste recipes, cutters, veiners petal dusts and silicone mats (prettily arranged in gumpaste hydrangeas at the moment)

I haven't seen a cake pan or a recipe since November 2014 and exist on small portions of cold food and coffee slipped outside my door three times a day...happy to report a decrease in waistline but an unfortunate deep wrinkle between my eyebrows (unplucked since aforementioned date....I have no time between daisies and the latest wisdom from Alan Dunne whom I love more than anything in in the world)

There! Happy to help xx

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 4 May 2016 , 12:27pm
post #9 of 18

consider using rice krispie treats as a base instead of cake -- they are long lasting and you can satisfy some of your creativity -- half hour here an hour there... go for it 

also styrofoam is not a four letter word :) make something like the school mascot that could be put on display in the office or...

Apti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Apti Posted 4 May 2016 , 2:33pm
post #10 of 18

Screaming with laughter!!!!  Full-on snort-age and gasping for breath....

peachcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peachcake Posted 4 May 2016 , 3:51pm
post #11 of 18

No. I too am a wish I could do more baker,decorator. I retired from a bakery that my sil and I had and apparently we had different ideas about the business. I loved it and was looking for something to make a living at, apparently she just was looking for something to look important about and was all about her. She didn't have the experience either,that was the funny part. I too am a cookbook junkie and recipe junkie. I would still like to try something on my own if I can come up with a plan. You are not alone!

jgifford Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jgifford Posted 4 May 2016 , 3:58pm
post #12 of 18

Cali, I'm reading your post and wondering if I wrote it in my sleep! I'm so with you.

When I realized just how CHEAP people in this area are, I knew I was in trouble. Yes, it is a true test of will, but I have drastically curbed my buying impulses.

We just closed our restaurant and piled everything into a storage building. My husband would say "what's in this box, more cake stuff? " I'm almost embarrassed to say over half of them were. But now I don't have my big commercial oven and clean kitchen.

I still haven't had time to play with the new set of tips I received for Christmas 2 years ago. And now I'm in a house with 7 cats! (No, I haven't become a crazy cat lady~ we rescued a litter of 5 that was abandoned.) So cakes are out for a while.

So now I collect "inspiration" photos. I have more pics of cakes than of my grandkids. I'm not too bad about cookbooks and I already have most of the small tools. I can't make flowers (see reference to cats above) .

I'm hoping this obsession will ease up at some point. Either that or we get homes for the cats. By the way, do you want one? 

Cali6422 Posted 4 May 2016 , 6:18pm
post #13 of 18

MBalaska – At times I feel that I’m only 1 step away from being featured on Hoarders … I do not purge. My supplies are like my children … I cannot give any away.  I just rent storage spaces for what gets displaced from the home (like furnishings that are displaced by cake items).  But hey – I’m comforted by the fact that there is an actual club … with jackets!!! Ha

Remanant333 – Yesss I also had to get the Russian tips!  Nevermind that, I’ve not used more than a handful of the tips I already have.  I rationalized that I NEEDED them to produce the hydrangea cupcake bouquet I want to make (but have no time to do).

Cakebaby2 – My problem is deep rooted … it's a multi-dimensional addiction.  It extends to anything that can be placed on a cake.  So gumpaste supplies, wafer paper creations  … AND the foray into sugar work that took hold.  To date, I've only managed to yield an anemic, droopy Loch Ness Monster (it was supposed to be a swan, but it didn’t quite work out) – But by golly, I’ve got every piece of equipment I need to produce something.  BTW – I admire your pioneering efforts in reintroducing the unibrow. At a certain point it may become functional – shielding the eyes from bright light and glare.  If only there were a useful purpose for my rarely shaven legs (because I’m too cheap to spend $5.00 on new razors … yet will spend $125.00 on new cake lace mats).  Thank you for bringing to light, the underutilized stove area.  I need to keep the oven free (in event I actually get any time to bake) ... but that range top is really unnecessary and perfect stacking storage trays! From now on it's cold cuts or baked items ... Can't wait to let the husband know. 

K8 – That’s a great idea … I’ve used the treats for figures, but never thought to try them as a cake base.  That would save me the baking time, yet still allow for me to do a bit of creative play!  Thanks for the suggestion.

Jgifford – It's truly comforting that I’m not alone. I’m in awe of your ability to curtail your buying.  Unfortunately, I have not found such strength.  But I realize it’s a problem when the UPS man regularly comments on my deliveries by asking “more cake things”? As thoughtful as it is, I must decline the offer of a cat.  With my obsessive personality, I fear I wouldn’t stop at one … I WOULD become the crazy cat lady.

MBalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBalaska Posted 4 May 2016 , 6:20pm
post #14 of 18

[postimage id="3776" thumb="900"]

Yes @cakebaby2 ‍ .........I've started collecting a (useless frivilous) field of sugar flowers and If I never make another cake I don't care!!  I doubt if I'll ever use a flower plunger cutter again, except for modeling chocolate on cupcakes.  Flower paste / gumpaste / sugar paste is addicting & I'm not ready to surrender them to another owner yet. HA!

@-K8memphis ‍ ‍ ...... How brilliant to suggest Rice Krispies treats for a cake substitute.  I'll bet that you can stick a ton of wired/toothpick flowers into a RKT tier.  There is simply not any more room in my cake supply closet to stack up dummy tiers.

gscout73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gscout73 Posted 5 May 2016 , 1:43am
post #15 of 18

No, no, you are by no means alone. This site, this community, we are your support group. I, I admit that I will sit and make flowers and leaves to "practice" and "have ready for the next cake, "just in case." I will mold chocolates and try new things... and I can't help myself. I see things... in cake, fondant, gumpaste, etc. My family and co-workers have accepted this about me. We will all get through this together.

gscout73 Posted 5 May 2016 , 1:54am
post #16 of 18

No, no, you are by no means alone. This site, this community, we are your support group. I, I admit that I will sit and make flowers and leaves to "practice" and "have ready for the next cake, "just in case." I will mold chocolates and try new things... and I can't help myself. I see things... in cake, fondant, gumpaste, etc. My family and co-workers have accepted this about me. We will all get through this together.

gscout73 Posted 5 May 2016 , 1:54am
post #17 of 18

cakebaby2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakebaby2 Posted 6 May 2016 , 8:17am
post #18 of 18

See, we can support each other!

Ms Alaska, may I congratualate you on your burgeoning horticultural bower, eventually you will attract bees to your home. The buzzing is a welcome addition to the sound of ones teeth grinding as we negotiate a wayward petal or stamen I find.

I have also solved the problem of burgeoning leg/nasal(?) hair, small elastic bands can be utilized to tie the offending mess into attractive "bunches" or braids depending on length..though the latter does take time away from one's project?

Why be vain we are alone after all?

it's true that the cake will never be baked to display these beauties on, but who could bear to waste them on something that will be eaten in moments?

My fuel bills have reduced dramatically as I no longer watch television, cook, or heat rooms that will interfere with the drying process, (I prefer a slow natural method...the better to eliminate cracks)

I am presently working on a life size model of that guy who played Leonides in the film 300 (the last time I saw a human man so its from memory)

I have his head, torso and lower body shaped to my satisfaction and he wears gumpaste orchids for modesty instead of a loin cloth.

It's a marvelous effect ladies and I encourage you to branch out, experiment..enjoy!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%