Freezing A Decorated Cake

Decorating By Candeheflin Updated 6 May 2016 , 4:02am by maybenot

Candeheflin Posted 3 May 2016 , 3:21pm
post #1 of 12

My good friend needs a graduation cake for her exchange student the week I will be on vacation  she really want me to make it  is there anyway I can make it and freeze it and it won't run and it will look like I just made it?

11 replies
-K8memphis Posted 3 May 2016 , 3:38pm
post #2 of 12

i have done this but rarely -- although lots of peeps do this freezing of decorated cake  -- package well and thaw slowly over a day or two -- should be fine -- no pastillage decor -- limited japanese string work -- no royal icing -- should be fine

maybenot Posted 3 May 2016 , 10:11pm
post #3 of 12

Don't freeze the layers right after baking so that you can follow the "1 freeze" rule.  This keeps the texture of the cake like fresh made.

Box the completed cake in cardboard box. Wrap the box in a few layers of saran wrap and a layer of foil.  Freeze.  24 hrs. b/4 serving, place the still wrapped box in the refrigerator to defrost.  Several hours before serving, place the wrapped box on the counter to come to room temp--out of direct light and heat.  Any condensation will go to the box. Right before display/serving, remove cake from box.  It will look & taste freshly made.

Candeheflin Posted 4 May 2016 , 2:59am
post #4 of 12

No fondant, right?  Just buttercream?

Tamscake Posted 4 May 2016 , 3:17am
post #5 of 12

If I freeze a buttercream iced cake and I want to apply fondant should the cake be frozen or thawed before I apply the fondant. 

Apti Posted 4 May 2016 , 3:39am
post #6 of 12

Although I haven't done so, very experienced bakers here on CC HAVE successfully frozen and defrosted a fondant cake that is fully decorated.  Just follow the rules outlines above by MaybeNot and you'll be fine. 

kakeladi Posted 4 May 2016 , 7:24am
post #7 of 12

TAMScake:  Best to thaw before applying the fondant  decorations.

kakeladi Posted 4 May 2016 , 7:26am
post #8 of 12

Tamscake:  Just reread your ?.  Not sure if you are asking about covering a b'creamed cake w/fondant or applying decorations. Either way I think it best to thaw. 

maybenot Posted 4 May 2016 , 3:56pm
post #9 of 12

You can freeze a completely decorated, fondant covered cake if you follow my directions exactly.  That is how these fondant covered, decorated cakes were handled, some frozen over 2 weeks after completion. 

You're seeing pictures AFTER they were thawed.

klick+bride+cake+small.JPGKlick+groom+cake+small.JPGbenison+cake_9+-+Copy.jpg

maybenot Posted 4 May 2016 , 3:59pm
post #10 of 12

Well, here we go again.....................the post didn't post, I reposted, reposts showed up, I tried to delete the repeats, it doesn't work.  Sorry.

kandyslife Posted 4 May 2016 , 4:39pm
post #11 of 12

Quote by @maybenot on 41 minutes ago

You can freeze a completely decorated, fondant covered cake if you follow my directions exactly.  That is how these fondant covered, decorated cakes were handled, some frozen over 2 weeks after completion. 

You're seeing pictures AFTER they were thawed.

klick+bride+cake+small.JPG

Did you have any problems with the black flower fondants bleeding onto the white ?? or did you place and decorate with the flowers after you defrosted ??

maybenot Posted 6 May 2016 , 4:02am
post #12 of 12

No.  The flowers were on the cake before it was frozen.  The only thing added after defrosting was the Wilton double heart topper.  If you follow the directions, there is no condensation on the cake surface, so there is no bleeding.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%