Wedding Cake

Baking By carrotcake1 Updated 3 May 2016 , 3:53pm by carrotcake1

carrotcake1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carrotcake1 Posted 2 May 2016 , 6:49pm
post #1 of 19

how many pieces do you cut a 9 x 13 sheet cake in to serve at a wedding reception. It is the only dessert but the bride is having a sweet/ candy buffet in place while they are having pictures taken?

18 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 2 May 2016 , 7:51pm
post #2 of 19

one or two layers -- a one layer you could get like 24 (2x2x2) servings and about 54 (1x2x4) for the 2-layer 

carrotcake1 Posted 2 May 2016 , 7:55pm
post #3 of 19

it's 2 layers but it will only be about 3 inches high. I don't need to cut the edges off do I? I have never made sheet cakes for a wedding before - usually just the wedding cake. I'm pretty sure the edges aren't crusty.

-K8memphis Posted 2 May 2016 , 8:02pm
post #4 of 19

use your best judgement on the edges -- and if you just want to cut bite size pieces that's cool too if there's other goodies -- how many people?

karmen.wong Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karmen.wong Posted 2 May 2016 , 9:42pm
post #5 of 19

I use my square pans for sheet cakes. I price them less then a regular cupcake, more then a mini - but I still make my sheet cakes 4'' high. I tell my brides that if someone got a slice of a sheet cake they would never know that it didnt come from the actual wedding cake. 

I do the servings suggestions for wiltons wedding cake slices for a square cake - and I do cut off the out sides and put a folded up peice of cling film around the edge so it does not dry up before it it cut and served. Its more professional and it makes it easier for the kitchen to cut up. 

carrotcake1 Posted 3 May 2016 , 11:08am
post #6 of 19

very helpful. so you only frost the top of your sheet cake? I was planning to frost the top and sides and do a shell around the top edge and bottom edge....do I not need to do that?

-K8memphis Posted 3 May 2016 , 12:30pm
post #7 of 19

you can go either way -- i frost all over mine -- personal choice

carrotcake1 Posted 3 May 2016 , 12:34pm
post #8 of 19

do you do a shell or anything on it?

karmen.wong Posted 3 May 2016 , 1:09pm
post #9 of 19

I only frost on top, I believe the wedding sized serving is 1"x2" and mines 4" high (3layers of cake with two layers of buttercream - and one on top  so I guess that is 3 layers of buttercream haha! I do not frost the sides  

karmen.wong Posted 3 May 2016 , 1:09pm
post #10 of 19

And nope I don't do shells 

-K8memphis Posted 3 May 2016 , 1:13pm
post #11 of 19

i myself was never a big proponent of kitchen cakes -- i like to display all the servings so guests can see there's enough servings --

but as to borders it just depends on what mood i'm in -- slapping on a top & bottom shell border takes (took) me nano seconds -- no big deal either way -- looks more pro to pipe borders --

but i probably would have done a snail trail on the bottom to look like a pearl border then a reverse pattern on the top with the same round cut parchment bag -- no tube -- fwiw :)

-K8memphis Posted 3 May 2016 , 1:23pm
post #12 of 19

well wait -- carrotcake was talking about a cake that would be displayed on the dessert table yes? that one should have at least enough minimal decor to be pleasant --

then i think kitchen cakes came up and yes i probably would top & bottom border those also probably an inner border on the top too -- so it doesn't look so stark kwim

but if i was pressed for time or in a crabby mood....hahaha

-K8memphis Posted 3 May 2016 , 1:23pm
post #13 of 19

well wait -- carrotcake was talking about a cake that would be displayed on the dessert table yes? that one should have at least enough minimal decor to be pleasant --

then i think kitchen cakes came up and yes i probably would top & bottom border those also probably an inner border on the top too -- so it doesn't look so stark kwim

but if i was pressed for time or in a crabby mood....hahaha

carrotcake1 Posted 3 May 2016 , 3:28pm
post #14 of 19

no, they are just sheet cakes to be cut in the kitchen - so I guess they are "kitchen cakes".

carrotcake1 Posted 3 May 2016 , 3:29pm
post #15 of 19

what thickness of buttercream would you have between the layers of a 2 layer cake?

carrotcake1 Posted 3 May 2016 , 3:40pm
post #16 of 19

I am learning so much from your comments. I have never worked with actual "buttercream" before. I'm pretty much self taught - my mom used to decorate cakes for friends and relatives and always used only shortening. When I was asked to do this particular cake I just assumed I would do the same but now I am seriously thinking I need to use butter - maybe half and half. do I use salted or unsalted butter? I have no fridge available to store them in overnight so if I use part butter will it crust a bit and be ok on my counter? or possibly the venue may have enough refrigeration and allow me to deliver the cakes a day early.

-K8memphis Posted 3 May 2016 , 3:40pm
post #17 of 19

i like thick fillings but there's no wrong way -- some peeps use thin fillings :) 

-K8memphis Posted 3 May 2016 , 3:46pm
post #18 of 19

delivering early is iffy because you can't control what happens -- someone might put their fresh catch of fish in there -- or help themselves to a piece --

i use all butter in my american buttercream and use buttermilk or cream -- the buttermilk gives it a great tang -- softens the sweetness -- and the cream makes it crazy good -- if it's for the right flavor cake i use 1-3 tablespoons white balsamic vinegar in it for the tang part -- comes out like a cream cheese icing and you don't have to worry about the refrigeration part --

but don't get carried away with too many options here -- you would want to test these things out in advance to be sure how it all works for you so go step by step for your own sanity kwim --

but yes it will crust and it would be ok on your counter with part or all butter -- i use unsalted

carrotcake1 Posted 3 May 2016 , 3:53pm
post #19 of 19

if you all knew how much I appreciate all of your advice.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%