Convection Oven

Baking By specialcake Updated 3 May 2016 , 2:13am by karmen.wong

specialcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
specialcake Posted 2 May 2016 , 4:29pm
post #1 of 6

I am using convection oven for baking my cakes... why my cup cake dont bake right!, and my cakes take so long to bake.

what am I doing wrong.

ANY HELP would be greatly apreciated

5 replies
karmen.wong Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karmen.wong Posted 2 May 2016 , 10:03pm
post #2 of 6

I switched to a professional convection oven this year, and my cake came out differently as well. 

Long story short: I had to adjust the flour in my recipe(somthing to do with the protein content), bake my cakes at 100 degrees lower (or else they underbake in the middle and get to crispy on the edges) and rotate them. 

It took me a long time to figure out all of these steps, but because convection ovens bake hotter and with hot air being swirled around, the cakes came out different. 

Seems like the longer baking time is normal. 

But good luck!

remnant3333 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
remnant3333 Posted 3 May 2016 , 12:30am
post #3 of 6

Hey Karmen, So did you add more flour or use less flour? I moved into a house that has a convection oven and a regular oven so I am curious as to what to do if I use the convection oven to cook a cake. By turning oven down 100 degrees approximately how long do you think that  you cooked it? I might experiment with it if I can figure out the flour amount.

Thanks for any information you have on this subject!!

specialcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
specialcake Posted 3 May 2016 , 12:47am
post #4 of 6

thank you Karmen, this look more complicated than expected. Somebody else told me that there is like 25 F. varietion between conventional oven and convection oven... lets say for example if a recipie calls the oven to be heated 350 in convection oven will reach 325 F.

I will keep trying and investigating this because the benefit of using convection oven are awesome.

kristykgs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kristykgs Posted 3 May 2016 , 1:02am
post #5 of 6

So funny I came across this tonight. Earlier today i was just looking for something along this lines. I have been using my convection oven for a few months and for some reason tonight, my red velvet came out hard on top but delicious in the middle. I ended up cutting the dome off and it works. Temporary fix for this batch, but the next I am going to try 330 instead of 350 like the recipe calls for.

karmen.wong Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karmen.wong Posted 3 May 2016 , 2:13am
post #6 of 6

Yah- the manufactur says only 50 degrees difference but through trial and error it wasn't enough  

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%