Chocolate Coconut Pound Cake

Baking By hep275 Updated 5 May 2016 , 7:06pm by hep275

hep275 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hep275 Posted 1 May 2016 , 6:49am
post #1 of 9

Hi, I've seen a picture of a wonderful, moist looking chocolate coconut pount cake which i'd love to try.  Trouble is, the quantities are given in what I presume is US cupsizes and i'm a bit concerned because there doesnt seem to be a standard conversion from US cups to UK measurements which seems odd so I'm not sure if that's correct.

The recipe is here http://www.bonappetit.com/recipe/chocolate-coconut-pound-cake and I was wondering whether anyone could advise on conversion from cups to grammes or oz.

Many thanks - I also hadnt realised there were so many fab ideas for pound cakes so really want to give them a go!

Many thanks, helen

8 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 1 May 2016 , 2:15pm
post #2 of 9

http://www.kingarthurflour.com/learn/ingredient-weight-chart.html

http://www.kingarthurflour.com/recipe/measuring.html

you're right it gets sketchy translating from one country to the next -- nb --we use 'ounces' for weight and for liquid so that gets weird too just right here on our own shores hahahaha -- a liquid 8 ounces is just a bit greater than a dry 8 ounces aka 'a cup' -- i mean i was born into this crazy system -- who thought it up i don't know -- and yes it is confusing --

so...

and people who espouse weighing everything as the be all end all have to finally decide on the weights involved too -- it's not an exact method either -- it can be exact by using the same recipe over and over but not in the conversion from cups to weight

remnant3333 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
remnant3333 Posted 1 May 2016 , 6:36pm
post #3 of 9

Because I am from USA I have same problem with UK recipes. I normally only make cakes with US measurements because if anyone could screw it up trying to decipher, I most certainly would. Good luck and I hope someone here will be able to decipher for you!!

Jinkies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jinkies Posted 2 May 2016 , 12:07am
post #4 of 9

US cups to grams/oz

1 cup of flour is 130g

1 cup of sugar is 200g

1 cup of liquid is 8oz

1 cup of butter is 226g

1 cup of shortening is 205g

1 cup of cocoa is 118g

1 cup of coconut is 93g

Hope that helps :)

-K8memphis Posted 2 May 2016 , 2:36am
post #5 of 9

the problem with any of these lists us that they do not agree -- like check shortening, cocoa and flour -- it's discouraging/confusing

-K8memphis Posted 2 May 2016 , 3:20am
post #6 of 9

*is

Jinkies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jinkies Posted 2 May 2016 , 10:51am
post #7 of 9

Yes, I agree, it is.  I know most of them by heart because I convert recipes all the time.  Most basic recipes, I don't even have to look them up anymore, I just convert them in my head.  I only bake by weight.  It's so much easier to 1/2 or double recipes and it's so much more consistent.  If she uses these weights, and mixes the cake properly, she should be fine.

-K8memphis Posted 2 May 2016 , 11:38am
post #8 of 9

oh good!

hep275 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hep275 Posted 5 May 2016 , 7:06pm
post #9 of 9

sorry, been away for a few days.  Hoping to get chance to try a basic pound cake this coming weekend.  Thanks for your comments and help guys.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%