Friday Night Cake Club For 4/29/16

Decorating By catlharper Updated 2 May 2016 , 9:05pm by jellybeanlane

catlharper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
catlharper Posted 30 Apr 2016 , 2:41am
post #1 of 27

Opening up another session of the FNCC! ALL levels of cakers are welcome to share their week, photos of their work, ask for help or provide help if they can!

Cat

26 replies
catlharper Posted 30 Apr 2016 , 2:49am
post #2 of 27

Hi everyone! I feel very lucky to have a Friday night where I'm not working my retail job! In fact I get spoiled two weeks in a row! 

I did bake quite a bit this week. We had the bake off at my retail job where each day was a different ingredient. You could do something each day or just one day or pick a few days, whatever you wanted. With our sons birthday on Thursday I decided to just do one day...the "chocolate" day. So the final cake (and a mini version of it for us too) was a triple chocolate cake with brownie buttercream frosting, topped with ganache and a dark chocolate abstract art topper was a hit! I won't know until the week is over if I actually won anything or not but it was fun to do! 

I also made a lemon chiffon cake with lemon curd buttercream for my sons actual birthday. I have plans for much baking this week. I have all the ingredients...just need to decide exactly what is going to be made! LOL! But Mother's Day is coming up and something yummy will be in the house for the weekend!

Anyways, here is the chocolate cake with it's Mini Me!

[postimage id="3747" thumb="900"]

catlharper Posted 30 Apr 2016 , 2:49am
post #3 of 27

Hi everyone! I feel very lucky to have a Friday night where I'm not working my retail job! In fact I get spoiled two weeks in a row! 

I did bake quite a bit this week. We had the bake off at my retail job where each day was a different ingredient. You could do something each day or just one day or pick a few days, whatever you wanted. With our sons birthday on Thursday I decided to just do one day...the "chocolate" day. So the final cake (and a mini version of it for us too) was a triple chocolate cake with brownie buttercream frosting, topped with ganache and a dark chocolate abstract art topper was a hit! I won't know until the week is over if I actually won anything or not but it was fun to do! 

I also made a lemon chiffon cake with lemon curd buttercream for my sons actual birthday. I have plans for much baking this week. I have all the ingredients...just need to decide exactly what is going to be made! LOL! But Mother's Day is coming up and something yummy will be in the house for the weekend!

Anyways, here is the chocolate cake with it's Mini Me!

[postimage id="3748" thumb="900"]

Dar917 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dar917 Posted 30 Apr 2016 , 4:37am
post #4 of 27

Nope, still not letting me post a photo. *rips hair out*

LelekBolek Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LelekBolek Posted 30 Apr 2016 , 10:16am
post #5 of 27

This was my Friday morning delivery. There were some lessons learned from this cake, which I appreciate every time I do a new design idea. I may do a few things differently next time, but I found that while some aspects of this were quite forgiving (no need to really smooth fondant, and such), others will take up all the saved time/effort (individual apples). The cake was a 3-layer 13X9 carved cake, vanilla-caramel flavor buttercream filling,  rice krispies "crate" (which added to the size), and the top 5 "apples" were separately covered filled jumbo cupcakes.

I like how it turned out, and certainly, the recipients were happy. 

This week has been quite busy with other stuff, and I was only doing this cake, plus will do cupcakes for the Sunday birthday. [postimage id="3749" thumb="900"][postimage id="3750" thumb="900"]

kstevens Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kstevens Posted 30 Apr 2016 , 11:33am
post #6 of 27

@catlharper ‍  that cake looks delish!!  I'll crossmy fingers that you geta win with it.

@Dar917 ‍ :-(  I hope you get to post something.....

@LelekBolek ‍ that cake looks awesome!!  The nails, the wood grain & the apples are all perfect.

I did a practice piece for Mother's day which I gave to our departmental secretary for Administrative Professionals week & I made her day :-) I'll post pictures of those next week.  So far I have orders for 6 plus what I do for our own moms.

My mom's birthday was yesterday & I surprised her by meeting them for dinner.  My nephew calls her a cool grandmother as she owns a 2002 Mustang convertible.  It's her summer car & she loves it!  She's even started showing it & now belongs to a local car club.  I hope I'm that cool when I'm 68!  I ran out of time this week so her cake ended up being very simple & was a replication of one I saw by Mia Cake House.  She really liked it & removed the Mustang logo before cutting it. Lol

I'm off to pottery class & am looking forward to seeing everyone's creations when I get home :-)

kstevens Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kstevens Posted 30 Apr 2016 , 11:36am
post #7 of 27

[postimage id="3751" thumb="900"][postimage id="3752" thumb="900"]

Marian64 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marian64 Posted 30 Apr 2016 , 1:48pm
post #8 of 27

No baking for me. I am working Mother's Day so I don't think I will bake a cake. 

@catlharper ‍ that cake sounds to yummy not to win. Good luck. Brownie buttercream frosting sounds yummy, haven't seen a recipe for that one.

@Dar917 ‍ sorry, but don't give up. Looking forward to seeing what you have done.

@LelekBolek ‍ what a great cake it looks just like a crate of apples.

@kstevens ‍great job on the cake! I am sure you will be as cool as your mom. Happy Birthday to her and I love your cake. My dream car is a Mustang, but it isn't practical.

jellybeanlane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jellybeanlane Posted 30 Apr 2016 , 4:10pm
post #9 of 27

[postimage id="3753" thumb="900"]Hello all sorry for posting late .... Nothing major to show been a rough few weeks for me I was diagnosed with MS. So lists goes on and on of doctor apts lol.....

But I want let it stop me I did these for my primary 

Espresso caramel glaze

Mocha cheese cake brownies 

They were amazing you needed to pray after one LMBO jk....

Anyway hope everyone has a wonderful week!

Jellybean:0)

jellybeanlane Posted 30 Apr 2016 , 4:12pm
post #10 of 27

[postimage id="3754" thumb="900"]Sweet Potato Cream Cheese Tarts....

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 30 Apr 2016 , 5:28pm
post #11 of 27

geez i love all the work here -- forgive me for not commenting on each one -- i just wanted to say i'm head over heels with that apple crate -- i thought seriously here 'dang she used real wood on this' how did she do this -- hehehehahahah -- then i read it's rice krispie treats -- wow so cool -- fooled me! that's the best bang for the cake decorating buck to fool someone with a trompe l'oiel cake and you fooled an old decorator -- very very cool and such pretty apples -- gloriously well done --

and now i want to eat sweet potato cream cheese tarts

LelekBolek Posted 30 Apr 2016 , 6:40pm
post #12 of 27

@-K8memphis ‍, and everyone, thank you for the comments. The cake was a bit hit, and many, I was told, also believed it was a real crate, a a centerpiece of decorations for the party, but not a cake. 

I used the impression mat for wood grain, dyed the fondant, and then brushed with petal dust to give more color variations.  I swear, it came completely "together" ONLY when I painted the "nail caps" silver. So weird how some work does it - looks fake, until one final touch - and suddenly it is looking just right.

Sweet potato cream cheese tarts - recipe please?

@jellybeanlane ‍ - sorry to hear! That;s rough. Hope things can be managed in best way possible for you.

Now I hope the dang wing stays on Maya the bee, for tomorrow's cupcakes for a girl's birthday/ It broke off, and I had to re-attach. Sometimes I try to avoid sticks and wires and other "hardware" and then get all frustrated at myself for hoping it will hold with a simple wishful thinking LOL

-K8memphis Posted 30 Apr 2016 , 6:47pm
post #13 of 27

interesting you said the nail heads did it  because that first nail head on the left -- it looks like it got hit down into the wood (could just be the photo doing that?) but that's where i said, dang it's a real wooden box hahahaha

LelekBolek Posted 30 Apr 2016 , 6:55pm
post #14 of 27

So funny you noticed! You know, that was intentional! 

I tried to mimic the different ways that nails get hammered in. On the other side, there was a nail that looked like it "bent" during hammering, and the head went in a little tilted. 

Tgey are also for marking where the actual "structural" components are - picks that fix the "crate" to the rest of the cake, so people could take them out  prior to cutting )))

-K8memphis Posted 30 Apr 2016 , 7:15pm
post #15 of 27

the bent nail -- you paid homage to my particular brand of hammering -- hahahaha

just really a wonderful work you did -- life like and lively

and i love the chocolate swirlies and the mustang momma

dar, so sorry!

Dar917 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dar917 Posted 30 Apr 2016 , 8:27pm
post #16 of 27

That apple basket cake is so cool!

I'll keep trying to post my photo. It's just a practice thing I did last week but I can't get it to post.

jellybeanlane Posted 30 Apr 2016 , 8:57pm
post #17 of 27

Quote by @LelekBolek on 6 minutes ago

So funny you noticed! You know, that was intentional! 

I tried to mimic the different ways that nails get hammered in. On the other side, there was a nail that looked like it "bent" during hammering, and the head went in a little tilted. 

Tgey are also for marking where the actual "structural" components are - picks that fix the "crate" to the rest of the cake, so people could take them out  prior to cutting )))

Thank you for the support I hope so too

@-K8memphis ‍ 

Sweet potato tart recipe:

Makes 24 small cup cake size tarts

4 large sweet potatoes skinned and cubed cook with butter in a pot until soft.. Blend the potoes with 14 cup condensed milk and. 1egg.  1Tlb cinnamon and 1 tlbs of vanilla ext.after it has cooled set aside..... Make up your cream cheese with sofened cream cheese 8 oz pk 1 tlbs vanilla extract 1/4 cup super fine sugar not powdered 1 LG egg whip until like a creamy moose then put in fridge.... Make up dough or use pie dough cut into circles with cookie cutter brush with melted butter and cinnamon put into cupcake tin and put in layers sweet potato cream cheese then sweet potato then take a tooth pick and swirl ..... Bake on 345 degrees until done about 45 mins cool make glaze

1 cup Brown sugar

1 tlbs cinnamon

1 tlbs vanilla extract

Melt and bring to simmer.

Reduce heat add 1 tlbs corn starch to thicken let cool some 

Then drizzle over cooled tarts and sprinkle pecan pieces on top 

Hope you enjoy these!

Jellybean:0)

Pastrybaglady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pastrybaglady Posted 2 May 2016 , 4:10am
post #18 of 27

Wow lots of beautiful and interesting projects this week! 

@LelekBolek ‍ that crate of apples - incredible work! I'm sure it confused many people :)

@kstevens ‍ Clean and beautiful work as always!

@jellybeanlane ‍ So sorry to hear about your bad news :( Your sweet potato tarts look incredible though. I wish you many years of baking to come!

I haven't been able to post for a while so I need to catch up! This Jersey cake was a tribute cake for a memorial of a man who loved the SF Giants and sushi. He was an American who played professional baseball in Japan, thus his love of sushi!

[postimage id="3757" thumb="900"]

This was a cake to celebrate the 100 year anniversary of the Kamaka family making ukeleles in Hawaii. They are the original and the best ukelele craftsmen. This is my copy of their anniversay uke that costs half the price of a brand new car! The wood is very unusual because the grain cuts both ways, it's called curly koa.

[postimage id="3758" thumb="900"]

Another monkey cake for a 6 year old whose favorite beanie baby is "Coconut".

[postimage id="3759" thumb="900"]

jellybeanlane Posted 2 May 2016 , 4:48am
post #19 of 27

@Pastrybaglady thanks sweetie... These are incredible !!!

LelekBolek Posted 2 May 2016 , 10:00am
post #20 of 27

@pastrybaglady - those are so beautiful! what is under the flowers on the uke cake? I assume, it is a treat of some kind. 

My daughter has the same monkey :-) 

shellbell181 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shellbell181 Posted 2 May 2016 , 10:22am
post #21 of 27

Wow so many gorgeous cakes!!! And the triple chocolate cake with brownie buttercream yummy yummy yummy!!!

shellbell181 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shellbell181 Posted 2 May 2016 , 11:13am
post #22 of 27

No cakes for me this week just been working on a football emblem cake topper, i thought it was gonna be pretty straight forward but i had a such a hard time getting the letters just right, in the end i was pretty happy with it but the letters could have been better!!

[postimage id="3762" thumb="900"]

Pastrybaglady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pastrybaglady Posted 2 May 2016 , 3:14pm
post #23 of 27

Quote by @LelekBolek on 5 hours ago

@pastrybaglady - those are so beautiful! what is under the flowers on the uke cake? I assume, it is a treat of some kind. 

My daughter has the same monkey :-) 

Those are mini cupcakes :) 

Natka81 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Natka81 Posted 2 May 2016 , 6:13pm
post #24 of 27

[postimage id="3765" thumb="900"]

The first one was Gender Reveal Cake.

Second was Seven Layer Honey cake for my daughter`s birthday party this Sunday.

Natka81 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Natka81 Posted 2 May 2016 , 6:17pm
post #25 of 27

[postimage id="3766" thumb="900"]

Oops! this is 2nd cake picture

-K8memphis Posted 2 May 2016 , 8:06pm
post #26 of 27

jellybeanlane -- idk you caught me by surprise and made me tear up -- so sweet of you and you not feeling good -- 

thank you  sparkling_heart.png

jellybeanlane Posted 2 May 2016 , 9:05pm
post #27 of 27

@K8Memphis awww I didn't mean to make you cry... You very welcome sweetie I hope you love them and they bless your heart! 

Jellybean :0)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%