Travel With Cake

Business By lyndim Updated 29 Apr 2016 , 10:23pm by costumeczar

lyndim Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lyndim Posted 29 Apr 2016 , 6:45pm
post #1 of 5

Hi all need your help on this. Has anyone ever flown with a cake? I'll be decorating the cake at the destination. I'll be traveling with the "naked" cake and the sugar elements. I'm just curious if there any restrictions. Any advice and tips would be helpful. Cake will be wrapped in Saran Wrap and foil. 

4 replies
maybenot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maybenot Posted 29 Apr 2016 , 7:08pm
post #2 of 5

I flew with cake layers, icing, tools, etc. using Southwest Airlines 8 years ago.  They still allow 2 50# bags for free, so I'd do the same again.  Nothing I took required refrigeration, either, because I couldn't guarantee that the temperature could be properly controlled at all times.

I wrapped the layers and put them in boxes with their respective cake board[s].  I added another board on top, too.  The boxes fit in my carry on suitcase and traveled in the overhead bin.  All of the rest went into checked bags with large notes telling the TSA exactly what, and why, the products were in there.  I had no problem with the layers going thru TSA screening and, luckily, the things in the checked luggage weren't bothered, either.

This is the finished cake, completed in a small condo kitchen on the Las Vegas strip.

lyndim Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lyndim Posted 29 Apr 2016 , 7:30pm
post #3 of 5

Thank you "maybenot" I'll be flying SW. I'm planning on mailing most of my equipment to the destination and flying only with the cake and sugar elements. Did your cake fit in only one box?  Your cake turned out beautiful!! 

maybenot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maybenot Posted 29 Apr 2016 , 8:18pm
post #4 of 5

As I remember, it was 3 boxes, each 4 -5inches tall.  They fit into the carry on bag--9 inches tall x 14 inches wide x 22 inches long--with some careful packing.  They were in there tightly, but without smooshing--and that's what you really want.

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 29 Apr 2016 , 10:23pm
post #5 of 5

You should call the airline directly to find out what you need to do. They've gone crazy in the past couple of years with security, and every time I fly there's something different that you have to do or can't take on. My son is in aviation school and is a licensed pilot, so he seems to get us through the "fast" lane most of the time, but even with that there's always something funky.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%