Ribbons

Decorating By carrotcake1 Updated 10 May 2016 , 6:02pm by cakingandbaking

carrotcake1 Posted 29 Apr 2016 , 3:40pm
post #1 of 12

900_ribbons_987956572380870dbbe.jpg

11 replies
carrotcake1 Posted 29 Apr 2016 , 3:43pm
post #2 of 12

I'm looking for a buttercream recipe that I could use to achieve ribbons that will stand up like the ones in the picture.

cakingandbaking Posted 29 Apr 2016 , 4:40pm
post #3 of 12

Are you talking about the burlap roses or the white ruffles on the middle tier?

carrotcake1 Posted 29 Apr 2016 , 4:43pm
post #4 of 12

the frosting ribbons on the middle tier

cakingandbaking Posted 29 Apr 2016 , 4:46pm
post #5 of 12

I did a similar effect on a cake just this week using my normal (crusting) buttercream recipe. It's 1/2 butter, 1/2 shortening with a little meringue thrown in to get it to crust more. As long as you're using the right piping tip, you should have no problems. I used a Wilton 104. If you want the exact look that this cake has, though, you'll have to either use a bigger piping tip or find another method. The 104 tip makes decently large ruffles but not as big as the ones in the photo.

carrotcake1 Posted 29 Apr 2016 , 4:52pm
post #6 of 12

I'd like to use all shortening because I don't want the frosting to appear yellow at all. my recipe calls for 1 cup of shortening - 2kgs (2.2lbs) of icing sugar and someone told me to use approximately 1/4 cup liquid and my flavouring. How much meringue powder do you think I should use?

cakingandbaking Posted 29 Apr 2016 , 5:07pm
post #7 of 12

Usually I start with one tablespoon meringue powder, let it sit for 15 minutes, see if it crusts, and add more if it doesn't. 

I've used this technique with all shortening frosting in the past and it works perfectly but I only use it on fake tiers because I don't like the taste/texture of all shortening. Just make sure your customer is okay with it!

If you want a good, white frosting while using both butter and shortening, try adding a tiny dab of purple food coloring to cancel out the yellow tone of the butter. It works like a charm, just don't use too much!

carrotcake1 Posted 29 Apr 2016 , 5:29pm
post #8 of 12

I love this forum - honestly - it's such a relief that I can ask someone a question when I need help

cakingandbaking Posted 29 Apr 2016 , 5:51pm
post #9 of 12

Absolutely! It is such a great resource! And we get to learn from others' mistakes and successes without having to do all that trial & error ourselves. Hope your cake turns out great!

carrotcake1 Posted 29 Apr 2016 , 5:56pm
post #10 of 12

thank you - me too :)

carrotcake1 Posted 10 May 2016 , 3:56pm
post #11 of 12

I'm very pleased with how my cake turned out. I will post a picture when I figure out how I did it the last time. I need to use a different recipe for frosting the kitchen cakes though because it crusted and they didn't look as smooth as I would have liked. Also, they were layer cakes and the top layer slid a tiny bit in the transporation so the sides weren't smooth. I didn't stress out about that though because I new they were to be cut in the kitchen anyway.

cakingandbaking Posted 10 May 2016 , 6:02pm
post #12 of 12

If you click the little photo icon that pops up along with all the other buttons in the reply box (on my screen it's between the link and emoji buttons), you should be able to post a picture smiley.png

Can't wait to see the cake, I'm sure it looked beautiful!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%