Jbcookiecutters & Copyright

Decorating By HomesliceBakeryUK Updated 29 Apr 2016 , 10:41pm by costumeczar

HomesliceBakeryUK Posted 29 Apr 2016 , 1:54pm
post #1 of 6

Hi! I was a member years ago and it's awesome to be back :)

So I've recently set up my business again and did a one-day cake business course to get up to scratch on the latest legislation etc here in the UK. Of course, copyright was mentioned. We were told that you should never recreate a licensed image, eg carve a cake into Mickey Mouse, or create a model of Mickey Mouse (goes without saying), but it's OK to use licensed products on your cake e.g. Mickey Mouse cutter, Mickey Mouse pan, Mickey Mouse toy model that someone else has created and obtained the license for.

So my question is this. JBCookieCutters do AWESOME cutters, as I'm sure a lot of you know, but they will just NOT reply to my enquiries whether their products are licensed or not! I just get radio silence. They miraculously manage to reply within hours if I email regarding another matter. Same story with Instagram messages too. I explained that I am just covering my own back and doing my due diligence, and could they please confirm they are licensed to reproduce these characters.

Of course I assume they ARE licensed, they're a well-known company, but why are they refusing to acknowledge my question if they are proudly licensed? I said I hope that wasn't an offensive query and I was just doing my due diligence.

So if anyone knows the answer that would be great. If they are licensed I'm going to still buy from them, as their products look great, but this has definitely put me off them a bit.

Thanks a lot in advance :)

5 replies
costumeczar Posted 29 Apr 2016 , 2:14pm
post #2 of 6

If they're not answering, they're probably not licensed.

costumeczar Posted 29 Apr 2016 , 2:16pm
post #3 of 6

I looked at their site, and they have multiple copyrighted cartoon characters, sports items, etc on there. I'd be surprised if  they had licenses for all of them since they're really expensive to buy and hard to qualify for.

HomesliceBakeryUK Posted 29 Apr 2016 , 6:04pm
post #4 of 6

I am really surprised!!! They have a huge following, 91k on instagram! How come they've not been sued yet :-s

I don't know whether to use them now then. None of my competition care about breaking copyright rules so I lose a lot of clients to them. As a professional I want to do things right though!

maybenot Posted 29 Apr 2016 , 7:21pm
post #5 of 6

As my mother used to say, dimes to doughnuts they're NOT licensed because, as you say, if they were, they'd be trumpeting it all over the place.

Now, that said, licensed products that are used to create things--cakes, cookies, etc.--are generally only for home use [like the Wilton character pans].  Finished products--royal icing lay-ons, plastic character faces, etc.--can be used because the maker of the product has already paid for the licensing. 

If, say, the local grocery store wants to make and market a Mickey Mouse cake that the grocery designs and makes by hand, they need to pay Disney the licensing fee.  If they want to put a plastic Mickey Mouse on top of a sheet cake, they buy it from a company like Decopac that has paid the licensing fee to Disney.

Let's face it.  There are thousands of companies getting over on the licensing  issue.  Why haven't they been sued?  Likely because no one has bothered to report them.  Shying away from being a whistleblower is epidemic.  People lick their financial wounds while others just consider accepting the risk as part of the game.

Kudos to those who do the right thing in the face of competition that skates along believing that it doesn't matter.

costumeczar Posted 29 Apr 2016 , 10:41pm
post #6 of 6

Quote by @HomesliceBakeryUK on 4 hours ago

I am really surprised!!! They have a huge following, 91k on instagram! How come they've not been sued yet :-s

I don't know whether to use them now then. None of my competition care about breaking copyright rules so I lose a lot of clients to them. As a professional I want to do things right though!

They just haven't been caught yet. If Disney went after every violator they'd have a staff of 5000 sending out cease and desist letters all day. They do sweeps every now and then to show that they make an effort in case they do end up taking someone to court, but they can't catch everyone. And who knows, they may have already sent that company a letter telling them to cut it out and they're ignoring it. 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%