Homemade Edible Sugar Lace Recipe?????

Sugar Work By carolinecakes Updated 25 Feb 2018 , 8:43pm by jchuck

carolinecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carolinecakes Posted 28 Apr 2016 , 3:48pm
post #1 of 28

Does anyone have or know of a homemade edible sugar lace recipe? Thanks for sharing.

27 replies
cakingandbaking Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakingandbaking Posted 29 Apr 2016 , 4:20pm
post #2 of 28

I researched this extensively about a week ago cuz I had the same question. There aren't many recipes out there, and the ones I tried did not work out. At all. I would recommend saving the time and money you would spend trying to find a recipe and trying to get them to work by buying a mix like Sugarflair instead.

carolinecakes Posted 29 Apr 2016 , 11:58pm
post #3 of 28

Thanks for your response, I am starting to agree with you. The only one I found was this link

http://www.veenaartofcakes.com/homemade-edible-sugar-lace-recipe/

I have not tried it, have you? Yes I may just buy a ready made mix, I am new to cake lace.

cakingandbaking Posted 30 Apr 2016 , 6:18pm
post #4 of 28

I tried that recipe and it obviously works for the lady who uses it but it was a no-go for me. Not sure if I did something wrong, but I ended up having to throw it out. I would advise that you buy a pre-made mix and maybe try out some DIY recipes later down the road if you have time/money to spare :) 

Jeff_Arnett Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jeff_Arnett Posted 30 Apr 2016 , 8:18pm
post #5 of 28

Do you have a Hobby Lobby nearby?   They now sell a spreadable lace mix. It's a smaller container than most, but only costs $14.99..and it you use your 40% off weekly coupon, it a real deal.  It's a two part mix similar to sugar dress or other brands and works really well.

carolinecakes Posted 30 Apr 2016 , 11:04pm
post #6 of 28

@Jeff_Arnett ‍ sadly no. But I'll check their web site. Thanks!!

@cakingandbaking ‍ I hear you.......cake lace is a new medium for me, best to try the premade stuff first.

MBalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBalaska Posted 1 May 2016 , 7:24am
post #7 of 28

This recipe has worked well for me both times that I've made it.  http://www.cakecentral.com/gallery/i/3363027/pink-roses-pink-cake-lace-3-4-2016

Quote by @carolinecakes on 1 day ago

Thanks for your response, I am starting to agree with you. The only one I found was this link

http://www.veenaartofcakes.com/homemade-edible-sugar-lace-recipe/

I have not tried it, have you? Yes I may just buy a ready made mix, I am new to cake lace.

carolinecakes Posted 1 May 2016 , 4:17pm
post #8 of 28

Beautiful cake, your lace is pretty......love how you did your cake board. Looks like I have some experimenting to do, turns out I have all the ingredients in the pantry. Couldn't find the mix on Hobby Lobby's website, so ordered a mat and Claire Bowman's mix on amazon.

Thank you everyone!

Gerle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Gerle Posted 1 May 2016 , 4:38pm
post #9 of 28

MBalaska, the site you list above shows a picture, but not a recipe.  Could you share the recipe?  I'd like to try some homemade cake lace but haven't found a recipe that works either.

MBalaska Posted 1 May 2016 , 5:32pm
post #10 of 28

Ingredients

1 Tbsp Tylose

1/4 cup BOILING Water

1 Tbsp confectioner sugar

2 level tbsp corn starch

1/4 tsp meringue powder/egg white powder

1/2 tsp. corn syrup

Pinch of white icing color or one of your choice color

Add Tylose to boiling water and with a small fork mix until you get a clear mixture.

When mix is clear, add confectioner sugar and mix, then add your cornstarch and mix again.  Add the meringue powder and mix again.  Then add your corn syrup.

Add coloring after this has been mixed.

Bakerlady2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bakerlady2 Posted 17 May 2016 , 11:18pm
post #11 of 28

Your cake is beautiful.  Did you make your own lace mold? is it possible to?

Gerle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Gerle Posted 17 May 2016 , 11:39pm
post #12 of 28

MBalaska, is there a particular consistency that this is supposed to achieve?

MBalaska Posted 17 May 2016 , 11:52pm
post #13 of 28

[postimage id="3902" thumb="900"]

Thank You @Bakerlady2 ‍, It is a purchased mold.  I've used a @costumeczar ‍ mold putty and made a simple design for myself, but nothing elaborate like a lace mold.

@Gerle ‍ It was pretty thick and sticky, yet still spreadable.  It did not go on like the videos I've seen of the commercial stuff.  However I'm not going to pay the cost of a big tub of commercial and shipping costs to Alaska as long as I can make something at home.  The little recipe made just enough for about 3 full strips of lace which is enough for my little hobby.  I can't really see that the expensive stuff looks much different when applied to a cake.

Course, flavor might be something else to consider.  this was not tasty.. Ha.

MBalaska Posted 17 May 2016 , 11:54pm
post #14 of 28

*honestly I can't think of anything to compare it to!  It just made a goo that spread on the mat.

jchuck Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jchuck Posted 18 May 2016 , 12:38am
post #15 of 28

I've made the cake lace recipe posted here...1st time a charm!! Every time after that ...not so great, even tho I made exactly as I had before. I have 3 or 4 similar lace recipe I have tried. What I have discovered is weather is a HUGE factor. In the fall/winter/spring months, had better success..IF there's not too mych humidity!! That's the killer in making cake lace...humidity. I won't even attempt making in the summer. Tried..too humid, even with AC on.  Humidity affects the actual mix, drying time and flexibility. I broke down and bought a cake lace mix..it's so much easier. It-s a Dutch or German brand. I adjust the water added according to the humidity on tbe day. I also tried to find the cake lace on the  Hobby Lobby in Niagara falls/Buffalo NY website. Closest to me from where I live in Ontario (Canada). Unfortunately, they  don't carry it. 

Janet123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Janet123 Posted 21 May 2016 , 4:06am
post #16 of 28

Does the Hobby Lobby cake lace stay pliable, or does it get stiff and hard?

shellybbear Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shellybbear Posted 21 May 2016 , 4:44pm
post #17 of 28

Janet 123

I have used the Hobby Lobby cake lace and it does indeed stay pliable.  It is the only mix I have tried, but it seemed to be pretty easy to work with for me.  One of the more delicate mold kept tearing when I tried to remove it from the mould, but then I saw a video where he applied two coats.  He left one dry and then applied a second one.  That seemed to work better for the delicate mould.

cakingandbaking Posted 22 May 2016 , 10:22pm
post #18 of 28

Can someone please link to the Hobby Lobby cake lace mix? I couldn't find it on their website. I just bought some SugarVeil and I'm trying it out today but it'd be nice to just buy the mix from HL in the future!

jchuck Posted 23 May 2016 , 1:27am
post #19 of 28

cakingandbaking

Depending on where you live in the USA, not all Hobby Lobby stores carry the cake lace mix.

cakingandbaking Posted 23 May 2016 , 1:31am
post #20 of 28

Yeah that makes sense but I wasn't looking at what they carry in my local store, I was looking at the general HL website and couldn't find anything. You'd think they'd have it online so people could buy it online or at least look at the product details or something?

jchuck Posted 23 May 2016 , 1:39am
post #21 of 28

I agree. I'm in Canada, but can easily pop over to Buffalo/Niagara Falls NY Hobby Lobby. Not only couldn't I find the lace on  that local HL website, like you, couldn't find on the HL website in general. Weird. 

MBalaska Posted 25 Feb 2018 , 3:55am
post #22 of 28

I've been using the homemade cake lace recipe that I posted above, and have been happy with it.  Especially as it's inexpensive, big plus.  I purchased a small tub of the 'Sugar Dress Paste' for cake lace by 'Martellato'.  It was much easier to spread, and it pulled out of the mold well (and I forgot to dust the mold before spreading Uggh).  I've put it aside in layers of parchment paper and will see how it survives storage, and how it goes on the cake later.  Glad to try new things, and be able to play with my food again.  

MBalaska Posted 25 Feb 2018 , 3:57am
post #23 of 28

.... oh yes...taste.  It tasted sweet, the homemade recipe taste like kids white glue.

Doitright Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doitright Posted 25 Feb 2018 , 4:40am
post #24 of 28

I’ve used the homemade lace recipe from The Cake Makery on YouTube twice and it came out great both times. I filled the molds and then left them overnight to ‘dry’ before removing them from the molds. 

jchuck Posted 25 Feb 2018 , 12:56pm
post #25 of 28

MBalaska

I have a couple of homemade lace recipes. Both work well. But if you don't add a whack of flavouring, you are right, it tastes like crispy dried white glue!!!! I usually substitute a good tablespoon of artificial vanilla flavour, or any clear flavouring. Unfortunately,  can't use real vanilla, as it's brown colour obviously stops the lace from being white when dried. 

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 25 Feb 2018 , 5:43pm
post #26 of 28

I've used the above recipe, shared to me by June (jchuck), many times and am always successful.  I have found the key is cooking it down to the proper consistency, quite thick and blobby.  Also, it takes longer to completely dry than you might think.  I either dry it in the oven, with just the oven light on, for two or three hours or on the counter overnight or longer.  When it has thoroughly dried, it will release from the mold easily.  I also like to use two or three layers of cake lace, depending upon the mold, allowing it to partially dry between applications.  It stays pliable forever.

MBalaska Posted 25 Feb 2018 , 8:17pm
post #27 of 28

The homemade recipe becomes firmer and less floppy, if you don't overwater it before putting it on the side of the cake.

The commercial one is very loose and soft, very nice if you want to use it like fabric, however I find it more difficult to manage putting it on the side.

so essentially I like both the commercial and the homemade and can find uses for both.  Very nice discovery. For the price of the homemade  ingredients together you can make about 10 times as much lace.

jchuck Posted 25 Feb 2018 , 8:43pm
post #28 of 28

MBalaska I went back and read one of my posts here on this thread. I used one of the first cake lace recipes posted on CC. As I said, 1st time was a charm, then had trouble thereafter. Realized it was weather related, also mixing is sooooo important. If you spend time mixing until everything is totally incorporated, you won’t have a problem no matter what recipe you use. And yes, you’re also correct both homemade and commercial lace have there uses. And homemade is really cheap to make. 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%