Fondant Work! Drying Out

Decorating By SweetCharm Updated 27 Apr 2016 , 2:09pm by ropalma

SweetCharm Posted 27 Apr 2016 , 12:03pm
post #1 of 2

Hello. I have been baking for awhile with mostly non decorative items (specialty cakes, muffins, pies, cupcakes etc.). I recently started doing some fondant work but very little. It's rather intimidating to me. I am about to do a cake that I have to make some flat pieces of fondant that will press against the cake (small mountains and cacti to adhere to the sides of the cake).

My question is how far in advance can I make the fondant pieces since they will have to bend with the roundness of the cake. If I make the cake today and the fondant today and put it all together, will it dry out in 2 days when my order is due? I am afraid of it cracking or falling off the cake. Room temp or fridge?

I have so many questions! Ha, I am ready for the challenge but need some guidance. Thanks so much for any advice. 

1 reply
ropalma Posted 27 Apr 2016 , 2:09pm
post #2 of 2

No the fondant should not dry out or fall off.  I glue my fondant pieces with piping gel.  If you want to make fondant pieces ahead of time you can put the fondant pieces on anything that will keep them rounded.

Quote by @%username% on %date%