1St Wedding Cake

Baking By brisi Updated 30 Apr 2016 , 10:25pm by kakeladi

brisi Posted 27 Apr 2016 , 4:39am
post #1 of 12

A friend asked me to make her wedding cake. This is the first large cake I will be making.  She asked for it to be enough for 250 guests.

She wants a 3 cake display. One center and one on each side. I'm hesitant or in doubt as to how many and what  size the tiers  should be.

I'm open to any and all advice, words of wisdom and suggestions. TIA

Also, she doesn't want BC, too sweet. I'm thinking of using Pastry Pride. So, any advice from personal experience or ideas are welcome. (How long can it sit out in a cool room?, should I use dry ice to keep over night,won't fit in my fridge and also to transport? Any tricks to whipping it up to a good consistency? Piping will be minimal if any)

Again, TIA

11 replies
kakeladi Posted 27 Apr 2016 , 6:03am
post #2 of 12

That sure is a big undertaking for a 1st wedding cake.  I hope this friend is paying you to do it.  The supplies alone will probably be at least $100 depending on where you live and if it's box mix vs scratch baking.  What do you mean by '3 cake display'?  Like this:  http://www.cakecentral.com/gallery/i/2158953/red-and-white-wedding-tiers    or like this: http://www.cakecentral.com/gallery/i/1362720/lattice-rose-wedding    or  more like this:   http://www.cakecentral.com/gallery/i/1357611/7-tiers-with-stairs       

Pastry Pride is NOT what you want to use but Frostin' Pride instead.  Either way it limits how far in advance you can complete this cake :(   It is best when applied no more than 24 hr before it's eaten.  That's a lot of work for a 1st effort.  I would strongly encourage you to use buttercream.  It can be made less sweet by the use of yogurt as the 'liquid' and adding salt to the recipe.  

you said:,,,,,,,,,,,,How long can it sit out in a cool room?, should I use dry ice to keep over night,won't fit in my fridge and also to transport? Any tricks to whipping it up to a good consistency? 

How long it can remain out depends on what is used to frost it.  As I said Pastry Pride only a few hours from the time it is applied to cake; Frostin' Pride 24 hrs and b'cream 2-3 days.  Dry ice won't help you at all.  To whip up Frostin' Pride do NOT defrost it at all,,,, just spoon out what you need.  It is hard to describe when it is done but if you hear it 'slap' it is over whipped.  Just stir in  a bit of unwhipped to thin it down.   If it is applied to the cake in the over whipped form it will crack and fall off the cake.  

Transporting will depend on how it's put together - stacked? tiered? or other?  And how far is the drive/ over what kind of roads?  Soooo much to consider!

costumeczar Posted 27 Apr 2016 , 11:55am
post #3 of 12

If you're doing this for free as a gift, you get to decide what it's made of, she doesn't get to place an order! Tell her it's buttercream or nothing, since you'll need to work on it in advance.

If you're charging her, don't sell yourself short, because it sounds like you're in over your head a little. If it's your first big cake you're going to be stressed out about that, so you're not going to want to work for a tiny amount (even thought that's probably what she's expecting.) 

Either way, I'd tell her that you need to do it in buttercream, since it's not something that you can do last-minute.

amartin1900 Posted 27 Apr 2016 , 1:12pm
post #4 of 12
brisi Posted 27 Apr 2016 , 1:23pm
post #5 of 12

She is definitely paying, I definitely took that into consideration.

I will probably be using BC, anything else would make me a nervous wreck.

Kakeladi, it's something like this, it's basically 3 separate cakes. 

900_1st-wedding-cake_9490635720bd3b03eac.jpg

14thomasa Posted 27 Apr 2016 , 2:16pm
post #6 of 12

brisi Posted 27 Apr 2016 , 2:18pm
post #7 of 12

14thomasa, 

What are all those numbers?????

kakeladi Posted 27 Apr 2016 , 4:40pm
post #8 of 12

Read again what costume said!   She is right on.  

A b'cream cake displayed per your picture should be easier than most other displays to transport.   What's the distance?  What kind of roads?  How hot (what's the weather like)?  Does your vehicle have a trunk or large flat area where the cakes will sit flat?   Do you have the different sized pans already or do you have to buy some?  Consult the Wilton chart for the number of serving each size will yield and figure out what you need.  

So you see this BIG undertaking has much to be considered before you even agree to do it.,

kakeladi Posted 27 Apr 2016 , 4:54pm
post #9 of 12

Well I wan't finished w/my post but this computer has a  very, very sensitive built-in mouse :(

BTW: personal opinion:   I like that set up.  It helps to not need the large pans but to serve 250.  I'm not sure of the actual numbers but  I think you will need to make the center one  14", 10" 6" which should give you about 125 then the side cakes probably should each  be 10" & 8" for another 110.  That's about the closest you will get to 250.  Just inform the bride and let her decide if she wants to fill in w/a 'kitchen' cake or consider that about 10% of those invited won't show and another 5% (or more) will not eat cake.  It depends on what food is being served - sit down dinner vs buffet vs appetizers and/or is there a 'sweet table' to choose from.   As I keep saying..........there is SO VERY much to take into consideration.

remnant3333 Posted 30 Apr 2016 , 1:01pm
post #10 of 12

Extra sheet cakes in kitchen would make it easier for you. It sounds like you have your work cut out for you!! With extra cakes you would not have to make the cake in the middle of the three cakes so big. Good luck and take a picture for us. I am sure you will do just fine!!!

-K8memphis Posted 30 Apr 2016 , 5:18pm
post #11 of 12

if you did a four tier with two 3-tier satellites you can get to 250 (260 actually) with a 

13x10x7x4 and then two 10x7x4's

that's still sort of in the small range -- as small as you can get and feed 250 -- the 4" little top tiers are cute --

i always like to show all the servings on the table -- i'm not a big fan of kitchen cakes but they do have a purpose -- some guests will see the cake display and think there's not enough food kwim --

and if you want to shoot the numbers on this -- go to http://capitalconfectioners.com/cakulator/cakulator.html and you can input any and all combinations -- i even figured one with a square bottom tier

a 12sq x 12r x 9r x 6r  then an additional two 9x6's -- for 266 servings -- you could swap the 12" round for an 11" round and still have 257 servings

i know a lot of peeps don't have the odd sized pans -- but they are indispensable -- could not function without them -- and you can see why in a case like this -- you don't want to be stuck with all even sized tiers -- but you can also cut down a 12" into an 11" easy peasy -- but some peeps are skittish to remove that outside browned edge so -- just a bunch of cake talk for you -- building tier cakes is one of my absolute favorite things to do -- tu

kakeladi Posted 30 Apr 2016 , 10:25pm
post #12 of 12

K8 said:..............lot of peeps don't have the odd sized pans -- but they are indispensable -- could not function without them 

LOL  I did w/o them for my 40+ yrs of decorating.   If you have them or care to invest in them fine.  I just never did.  

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%