Orange / Vanilla Cake

Baking By george101 Updated 29 Sep 2016 , 8:59pm by SeriousCakes

george101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
george101 Posted 26 Apr 2016 , 10:06pm
post #1 of 10

Hi I am looking for a scratch Orange / vanilla cake recipe  that is moist , and will keep for a few days.I am about to experiment with pound cake , can someone please explain what the perfect pound cake re texture, moistness, etc, should be .

Thanks

9 replies
SeriousCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SeriousCakes Posted 28 Apr 2016 , 4:40am
post #2 of 10

This recipe would work, just use orange zest and replace the almond extract with 1 tsp orange extract and 1 tsp vanilla. You also don't have to use sour cream, you can use 1 3/4 milk instead. I love pairing it with vanilla buttercream, it tastes like a creamsicle! 

hep275 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hep275 Posted 28 Apr 2016 , 6:26am
post #3 of 10

Great video - can I ask a couple of questions?  What is shortening - is it a vegetable fat?  Also, I'm UK based and wondered if you knew what the actual measurements are for the liquids you used?  I'd love to try this out - the mixture looked so white!  Thanks, Helen

george101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
george101 Posted 28 Apr 2016 , 6:33am
post #4 of 10

Thanks so much for your reply very helpful 

SeriousCakes Posted 28 Apr 2016 , 3:05pm
post #5 of 10

Shortening is vegetable fat, I've tried to use butter in place of the the shortening but it doesn't work with this particular recipe. Both the almond sour cream cake and the orange cake are variations of my yellow cake recipe, here's the full recipe:

1 c.(192g) shortening

2 c. (400g) granulated sugar

4 large eggs

3 tsp. vanilla (or for the orange cake, 1 tsp vanilla and 1 tsp orange extract) 1 tsp=5mL

2 3/4 c. (338g) all purpose flour

3 tsp. baking powder

1 tsp. salt

1 3/4 c. (414mL) milk

Preheat oven to 350 degrees (325 if using dark pans). 

Prepare pans by using baking spray or grease and flour. Cream together sugar and shortening until fluffy and lighter, about 4 minutes. While that is creaming mix together flour, baking powder and salt in a small bowl. Add the vanilla, then the eggs one at a time to the sugar and cream mixture, allowing each egg to completely incorporate before adding the next. Now alternate adding the flour and milk in 3 parts, beginning with the flour. Pour into pans and bake 40-50 minutes, I say that but I like to start checking at 30 minutes just in case my oven goes berserk again and starts OVER baking my cakes. I try to get them out when a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out with a few crumbs sticking to it.

Allow to cool 10 minutes in the pans, then turn onto a cooling rack.

hep275 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hep275 Posted 28 Apr 2016 , 3:52pm
post #6 of 10

thank you

Gerle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Gerle Posted 29 Sep 2016 , 8:40pm
post #7 of 10

You say you can use orange zest with this recipe when making it orange flavored, but you don't mention how much zest.  Are we talking a couple teaspoons?  1 Tablespoon?  I'd love to try the orange cake with vanilla frosting.

SeriousCakes Posted 29 Sep 2016 , 8:45pm
post #8 of 10

I don't know if I've ever measured it lol, maybe I'd just say the zest of one orange. 

Gerle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Gerle Posted 29 Sep 2016 , 8:47pm
post #9 of 10

Sorry, one other question, you mention subbing milk for sour cream, but there's no measurement of sour cream....same as the milk?

SeriousCakes Posted 29 Sep 2016 , 8:59pm
post #10 of 10

Yep! Sorry about that :) If you try it, please let me know what you think!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%